Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaykay Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 04:08 PM
    What forms do I need to file?
    I am Japanese citizen, and I came to the U.S in 1997 to study.
    I've never filed any form since I never made money in the U.S.
    However, I recently heard that I should have filed "Form 8843" although I did not make any money.
    Since Oct. 2005, I began to work in U.S as OPT(Optional Practical Training), and I have to file forms for 2005.
    In this situation, what forms do I have to file?
    (What I heard was "Form 1040" and "GA 500", is it right? And... I don't have to worry about filing Form 8843? )
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 09:08 PM
    KayKay:

You are supposed to file Form 8843 every year, but enforcement by the IRS is sporadic, so I would not worry about it.

If you file as a resident alien, then you should file Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ.

For GA, GA Form 500 or 500-EZ is the correct forms.

I can help you do this filing, since I practice in Atlanta, GA. E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested for a rate quote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax forms [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax expert, I am a F1 student on OPT (expires Jan 07), I am going to join a company by next month, which has already filed for my H1. I am right now working short term for a company which is going to pay me till the time I join the new company I mentioned before. They are going to...

H1B - 2 W2 forms. [ 3 Answers ]

I changed my job in October 2005 and received W2 from both, my new as well as old employer. I have been in US for more than 2 years now and as per the definition of "Resident" based on "Presence Test" I qualify to be a resident of USA. My question is, filing my tax return will be as simple as going...

No W2 forms [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can file a state tax return without w2 forms I sent a 4506 form to IRS requesting copies. They sent my check back and said this info was unavailable due to 7 years had past and they no longer have these records. I lost all personal papers in a tornado. I can't remember all...

Worked as CPT & OPT for 2005... Forms to file [ 1 Answers ]

Hi In 2005 I was working as CPT and then OPT for a consulting firm. As I workded as CPT & OPT I should be considered as Non-Residient Alien. On the basis whether I can file following deduction: 1) medical expenses as itemized deduction (In Publication 519 it is not mention that medical expense...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search