Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    warioba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 03:26 AM
    designing payment with installment
    I am trying to create a student
    management system and I am new to the access due to the chaos in managing
    student informations and at the moment the college is lack of cash we can
    not afford to hire external company or person to do it.
    I have attempted to create a database to minimise problems but it is
    difficult I have to admit it.

scenario
    --------
    The college register students and we are storing informations manual, our
    students can not afford to pay fees at once, so they divide fees in yearly,
    then to semester, (installment payments) I want to design a database which
    will capture student details and process payments, later I want to add
    course management.
    current I am stuck in
    1. How do I create a payment table or a form which the student is allowed to
    pay annual tuition fees and other fees in installment and at the same time
    the old balance is captured and the difference is then brought to to be
    deducted again when student make a new payments?
    I have tried to have
    tblstudentInformation - which stores student informations,
    tblpaymenttype - which stores type of payments e.g. fees,student
    membership fees etc,
    tblpayment - which is a transaction table for payments

I have then created a query tblpayment query which does the old payment -
    amount deposited = new balance

I do not know if this is how it should be done please correct me
    also when student pays in installment and the balance is overwritten and
    that is where I am not sure what to do could anyone help please,
    I make a confess I am stuck and my knowledge is finish any hand assistance
    will be highly appreciated
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2008, 06:30 AM
    As a general rule we do not store calculated values and the balance is a calculation. Generally college fees are billed per semester. So you would need to create a table that recorded the amount due for the semester. Your payment transaction table records each payment and links the payment back to the semester. To calculate the balance you add the payments and subtract them from the total due.

You can test the balances and if its negative, display a message indicating a refund. The refund is then processed as a transaction with a negative amount.

P.S. I'm not convinced that you are doing this for your college. I find it hard to imagine any college that does not already use software for such a task. So I strongly suspect this is a homework question. But I'm answering it because you appear to have done some of the work and are asking a specific question which fits into our guidelines about asking homework questions.
    warioba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the answer above, I write from Africa, try to do a research and you will be surprise most colleges use excel as a database. Just to clear the doubt this is a college database that I am working due to the financial Limitations, as we have student who carry forward their balances how will this work in tblsemester - I have tblpayment and do I need which I am recording all the payments, I am lost with the last steps, could you elaborate more
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2008, 07:08 AM
    You can use a group by query that groups all the transactions by student. You would need to convert payments to a negative number so it subtracts from the total.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

Installment sale [ 5 Answers ]

Why does Turbo Tax ask for the selling price of an rental realestate asset and the selling price of the land separately when in fact the closing papers of the sale don't distinguish between the two. If you do enter the gross selling price for the complete property and zero for land Turbotax comes...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

View more questions Search