Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Petersgb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Installment sale
    Why does Turbo Tax ask for the selling price of an rental realestate asset and the selling price of the land separately when in fact the closing papers of the sale don't distinguish between the two. If you do enter the gross selling price for the complete property and zero for land Turbotax comes up with an error. Note the IRS in the 6252 instruction sheet and the 4797 instructions never asks for the separation of the two entities. Does Turbo tax have a bug?
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 5, 2007, 08:22 AM
    The reason for this is because land cannot be depreciated. The house can. This could affect the basis of the rental house. You can check your local property tax comptroller to get a breakdown on land and improved property basis.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Mobea has it right. I have nothing to add.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Out of your profit from selling the rental property, the amount equal to the depreciation for all the years the property was with you is ordinary gain and the rest is capital gain. Ane the land never depreciates, it is the building/structure that depreciates.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 6, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Petersgb
    Are you selling this property as an installment sale (owner financing) as your title suggest? There is different method used to account for this for tax purposes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 02:01 PM
    If you ARE doing an installment sale, RUN (don't walk) to an experienced tax professional to do your tax return.

Using TurboTax in this case COULD be a classic case of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installment Sale Real Property [ 2 Answers ]

I need help re: tax forms for 2007 In 2007 I sold a piece of undeveloped real estate for $20000, initial cost was $32,500 in 1984. I received 10, 000 down payment (expenses of sale were $4604) in 2007. I am carrying the contract for the remaining 190,000 interest 4.86%. I am to receive...

Installment agreement w/ IRS and owe more taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have an installment agreement with the IRS to pay back taxes owed (1997 year) and just found out that I will owe more taxes for 2006. Can I have the 2006 taxes combined with my current installment agreement or do I have to pay it in full? Any help would be appreciated

View more questions Search