Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tazman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 10:31 AM
    I am wiring 2 baseboard heaters. Not sure if I used the correct wire.
    I am finishing my basement and have run all of the wiring from the panel to the wall where the thermostat will be and from there I have run the wire to the two locations where the heaters will be mounted. I am going to use a 6ft Fahrenheat and an 8ft Fahrenheat. They are 240v and I will be using the thermostat to control both together. My question is did I make a major mistake by running 10/3? As I have been reading here the last couple of days, it seems everyone is using 12/2. When I first decided to run the wires a couple of months ago, I thought I needed 10/3 since both heaters would be wired together. Please let me know if I can just wire nut the white or if I have to re-run all of the wire. Re-running the wire would not be good since I have already put up the wallboard and taped and spackled.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Tazman

:D :D :D
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 12:23 PM
    The 10/3 will work, but you could have used 12/2. First off, #10 is oversized for what you are doing. Also, there was no need for "3-wire". You are allowed to use the white as a hot conductor for a straight 240v circuit such as you electric heat.

Mar 26, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    The 10/3 will work, but you could have used 12/2. First off, #10 is oversized for what you are doing. Also, there was no need for "3-wire". You are allowed to use the white as a hot conductor for a straight 240v circuit such as you electric heat.

Thanks for the reply. Am I safe to assume then that I can just terminate the white as I will not need it?

:D :D :D
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Taz,

Just curious, what is the amperage required by these heaters? It should stamped on the manufactures tag on each unit.

What white wire you talking about?

Mar 26, 2008, 01:48 PM
    The amperage is as follows:
    8ft heater - 8.3 amps
    6ft heater - 6.3 amps

I used 10/3 wire which if I am not mistaken has RED, WHITE, BLACK, and GROUND.

Mar 27, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Okay. So I am a HUGE idiot! I went down in to the basement last night to look at my wiring and I rememebered that I had done a fair amount of research before wiring the basement. I did in fact use 10/2 wire for the baseboard heaters. I think the reason I had bought the 10/2 originally was because I thought I was going to have more amperage than what I have actually wound up with. Anyway, I have it all taken care of. It has just been a few months since I did the wiring so I had forgotten.
    Thanks for the input anyway guys!

Taz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Baseboard Heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I am wiring two Marley electric baseboard heaters (240v) to a Programmable Thermostat and want to confirm the layout. BASEBOARDS Both Baseboards are 8 feet long, 240 volt, 2000 watt, 8.3 amps WIRE & Circuit BREAKER I am using 12/2 wire and connected to a double pull 20 amp circuit...

Wiring thermostat and 2 baseboard heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys can you double check my plan for wiring my two new baseboard heaters 12/2 Romex(blk/white/bare ground) 20 amp Square D QO 240v breaker Honeywell TL8230 Line Pro 800 double pole 240v 3600w 15 amp load 2x Qmark HBB-1504 heaters 240v 6.25amps 1500w 1. Main off 2. install breaker

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I would like to use only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I plan to use 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. I would like to have both heaters controlled...

Max AMPS, and wiring my baseboard heaters. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a couple of questions. First I have an old 60 AMP panel in my house, and I was wondering if that means the some total of all the breakers in the box should be less than 60 amps, or if that no one breaker should be more than 60. Second. I want to wire 5 baseboard heaters in the...

Wiring 220 baseboard heaters newbie [ 2 Answers ]

Hi . I am having probles setting up 2 baseboard heaters in my living room. I have the two of heaters connected and both wires going back to a thermostat box. Any help with how to connect the two heaters to a thermostat. I have a thermostat with a L1 and a t1 marked on them. I took it as L1 to main...

View more questions Search