Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akb01002 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Wages, SST, Medicare, Car donation, business expense etc
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a citizen of India and was on F-1 from Aug 2001 to Jan2007, and on OPT working as a researcher in KS from Jan2007 to Jan2008. I filed my taxes (Form-1040) through the legal services and would appreciate your expert opinion on some of my questions and concerns.

1) Does the time during the F-1 and OPT count towards substantial presence test? In other words deducting social security as well as medicare reasonable in my case

2) Will it help I try to file form 843 in getting any kind of refund. Is it even worth trying?

3) Last year I donated my car and got a tax a tax deductible of 500$. Addiitionally, my business expense in term of visiting conferences and membership was approx. 1200$. Also, I bought a computer for 700$ for work purposes. Ans none of this was listed on my tax preparations. Is there any way I would have been used them to my advantage.

My total wages were 33,000 while my SST was 1983.90 and Medicare was 463.98. Besides these I ended up paying a federal tax of 3190$. Thus to conclude I ended up paying a total of 5637.80$ in tax for a total salary of 33,000, besides state taxes. Does that sound reasonable. If there is any way to get any of it back please let me know. I am sorry for all the questions and inconvenience and would appreciate your help and guidance. I am grateful to you for all your help and support, as always.

Kind Regards,
    A. Bhambhani
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 12:11 PM
    The five-year exemption that goes with the F-1 visa expired for you on 31 December 2005. For both 2006 and 2007, you were a resident alien for tax purposes.

1) You cannot deduct either Social Security or Medicare taxes.

2) You are liable for Social Security and Medicare; filing Form 843 would be a waste of time.

3) The reason these deductions are not shown is that they are itemized deductions. It is likely that the grand total of all of your itemized deductions did NOT exceed the $5,350 standard deduction to which you are entitled.

Your effective tax rate is just abit over 17%, which is about the norm for a single person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security wages, medicare wages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in the US on F-1 visa. I have filed federal tax returns twice and NY state tax returns once preciously. Both times my W-2 did not show social security wages or medicare wages (and the tax withheld for each of these). However, this year my W-2 shows figures on...

Medicare wages and Social Security Wages [ 4 Answers ]

Hello All, Does any one know the difference between medicare wages and Social security wages vs total wages? ( on w-2 form)

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is the answer to the following question $8,000? Because there are 2 days left in the month that have not been paid. The question is: A company operates 5 days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. The employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek(Mon-Fri). The last day of the month...

Business expense [ 2 Answers ]

I just opened a checking account for my new business. I won't have the check card/debit card for about 10 days. I need software for my business and Comp USA is going out of business and has some great sales. They are not accepting checks, and they have only one copy of the software I need. Can I...

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Company x operates five days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. Employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek just completed (Monday through Friday). The last day of the month is Wednesday, March 31. What is the amount of Wages Expense recorded on the next payday, Saturday, April 3? I...

View more questions Search