Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asrelek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Wiring into a 240 volt panel
    I am in iraq right now and I am trying to wire up a plasma cutter that is 208/230 1ph/3ph 50/60hz to a panel with L1 L2 L3 all reading 230 volts how do I do this. I also have a Welder I am trying to hook up also that is 230/460 volts 1ph/3ph 50/60hz. Help thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Are you US Military?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Is the panel 3-phase? It sounds like it. Do they even have 3-phase there?

Where are you taking those voltage readings? You say they all read 230v. From what to what??

What do these tools draw?
    What wire are you using?
    What conduit/cable/raceway are you using?

I CERTAINLY hope he is NOT US military! Or a US contractor.
    It'd be pretty sad if the US military was on an internet message board looking for advice on how to hook something up!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
    The first one is probably easy, because rotation doesn't matter. Set whatever taps to 230 volts and connect L1, L2, L3 and ground.

Probably it's 1 PH/3 ph is because there is a transformer with three primaries. If the primaries are phased properly (all in phase) they can be connected to a single phase.

Or they can also be connected independently to a three phase source. Again, order of L1, L2 and L3 doesn't matter.

The later is probably the same way.

I know it's kind of odd to be 1 ph/3ph, but with a plasma cutter this makes perfect sense to me.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman

I CERTAINLY hope he is NOT US military! Or a US contractor.
    It'd be pretty sad if the US military was on an internet message board looking for advice on how to hook something up!
    As a civilian Contractor I have done Final Connections and Laser Testing For Military, I like to believe the Guys with the M16's were protecting ME. The thing about Military and Corporate Is the Lag due to Beuracracy, Red Tape, Procedure. Corporations have to go through Board members, research teams to MAKE SURE there is MAXIMUM Profit. I have a small Security/Electrical Contracting Company, Can Design, Obtain, Build, and Install most systems faster than other methods. I like Emergencies and the difficult. And don't try to get All work, slipping in emergencies won't usually be too difficult.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Strat - et al,

Personally, I don't like to answer questions from the war zone. You don't know who you are actually speaking to. I know full well that if he's a bad guy, he'll never tell the truth, so I don't answer.

Any way, my lengthy experience with the military in general and contractors has taught me that 1: No US personnel would use the open Internet for assistance. And 2: I can't imagine that as US trained electrician or US contractor would have only one person in the immediate vicinity to assist their own.

And as far as I know, you can't swing a wet towel in that corner of the world without hitting someone from the US.

Personal opinions, no need to respond and I do apologize if I offended anyone.

Mar 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Don, that is an absolutely valid argument and pretty much my point about our guys. I never thought about the other ramifications.
    NO need to apologize for anything.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Donf, as fas as answering questions from the war zone, The World is a War Zone.
    I think If asrelek were Terrorist, he probably would have said he was from Peroria, not Iraq.
    If he is in the War Zone, These communications would have been traced.
    There are not Qualified Personnel in ALL fields ALL the time. Communications may be kept to a minimum. I suppose Our Forces could have a message board and have everyone read every morning to locate qualified person, however, they may be busy with other issues.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Hey asrelek, can you tell anything about yourself, you've got a couple of people worried.
    Take Care
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 02:47 PM
    I found a wiring diagram for a 3 phase plasma cutter. http://www.esabna.com/literature/Arc...r%20Supply.pdf

In this case there is a slave power supply that is single phase.

I suppose this is another way of looking at the specs.

Mar 21, 2008, 02:54 PM
    I'm not worried so much about terrorists than I am about someone completely unqualified working on 3-phase equipment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

240 volt wiring using a single pole RLV430 thermostat [ 8 Answers ]

Using a single pole RLV430 honeywell thermostat I need to wire a 240 volt heater. In my box I have 2 live and 2 neutral wires. The thermostat has 2 wires. http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf

Hot tub 240 volt wiring [ 16 Answers ]

I am wiring a hot tub. I have a 50ft run from the circuit breaker panel to the hot tub CGCI box, and another 35ft from the GFCI box to the hot tub. The specs call for a 50 amp 4 wire system. My question is, what size wire should I use? # 6 #8 ?

240 volt to 120 v [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking at buying a few tools from america, which I understand run on 240 volts. I want to know if its possible to change it to 120volt by just changing the lead. Cheers:D

240 volt wiring [ 1 Answers ]

When wiring my weldershould I use neut bus or grnd bus to grnd the machine

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search