Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Is this a Christian nation or NOT
    Hello Christians:

We have a nice argument going on about Obamas pastor. Most people think he's a separatist. I don't know that he's not...

But my questions are about YOU. Does YOUR church teach that America is a Christian nation? Certainly, my experience on these boards tell me that it’s not an unpopular belief among Christians. Do you believe it? If you don't, and you hear it in church, do you say anything about it? Do you stay in that church? If your church doesn't teach that, do you know of other churches that do? What do you do about that?

Do you think that the belief that America is a Christian nation is a belief that divides us, or brings us together? Do you care?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Define Christian nation?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I think the idea that America is (or was) a Christian nation
    1. Has never been true, so is a huge urban legend, and
    2. Does more to divide than bring us together.

Our nation was founded with the presumption that there is a God but that's about as far as it goes.

Sort of related but sort of not: Even the founding fathers were unclear about their faith and even hypocritical in that they affirmed equality and "inalienable rights" yet many had slaves.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Hello Scott:

Well, that's the question, isn't it? If there are those who believe that we ARE Christian nation, maybe THEY can define it.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I think the idea that America is (or was) a Christian nation
    1. Has never been true, so is a huge urban legend, and
    2. Does more to divide than bring us together.
    Hello Rick:

I don't know. I hope what you're saying is true. Frankly, my experience with what Christians believe is pretty much limited to these boards. I do, however, recall quite a few Christians declaring on these boards that America is, indeed, a Christian nation. No?

excon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 09:01 AM
    You are right. That's why I call it a huge urban legend :)

Anyone who reads even a little can fairly easily find that very few of the founding fathers were even Christian at all. Most were Deists.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Hello again Rick:

I'm not arguing whether we ARE a Christian nation or not. It's clear that we're not. I just wondered what the people think who don't share our beliefs.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Let me ease your mind. John Adams was one of the most Christian of the Founders . He signed a treaty of friendship with the Tripoli jihadists... ooops pirates . Article 11 of the treaty states :

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, - and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries

We inherited a Judeo-Christian heritage no doubt about it .It is reflected in many of our laws and traditions .But it is also true that the Enlightement played a crucial role in our founding .

Mar 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    let me ease your mind.
    Tom,
    If this forum allowed ratings I would give you a huge Greenie for that post. I think it was the perfect answer.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
    excon

You're simply mixing categories, a nation cannot be baptized; therefore it cannot be Christian nor can it have any other human qualities.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Hi readers I'm new to this so please forgive my mistakes.
    In my opinion for what it's worth christianity and alike have a lot to answer for in today's society. It could be said that religion is the cause of most wars around the world which if you go to Gods teachings says quite clearly... THOUGH SHALL NOT KILL... There are those who wish to control humanity and I think many centuries ago it was a way of controlling the multitudes, those who preached the most and gained most followers became the more powerful, actually not unlike today thinking about it anyway there are those in religious followings that are out for pure personal gain which is very sad for many who are taken in by them parting with treasure possesions and so on.
    God and the devil I personally prefer to call them GOOD AND BAD you only have to look around you to appreciate the GOOD we have I'm sure done things in our life that we new we shouln't have and have been punished one way or another for it that's the BAD
    I know if I've gone against my intuition things always go wrong. I believe we were given this by the power of GOOD or if you like the choice to do right or wrong

Yes I do believe there is a GOOD GUY up there that sees all what ever you want to call him

My apologies if I've not quite got the hang of it I'll get there
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Mar 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I think to say we are a Christian nation is not accurate, although ideal, not reality. This nation was founded on Christian beliefs but has since been developed into a nation of morals and value based on personal preference. It is a smorgasboard of beliefs based on what works best for your preference. Not a nation that values the ideals of the Bible or follows the example of Christ. I believe it would unite us to possess values and morals that are consistent with the two most important commandments of what Christ taught; love your GOD with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. Clearly there are others but if we start with those that is a great start.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
    The ethic of reciprocity transcends christianity:
    Versions of the Golden Rule in 21 world religions
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Mar 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    The ethic of reciprocity transcends christianity:
    Versions of the Golden Rule in 21 world religions

The split lies in who is your GOD... is it confuscious, buddha, allah, yourself, Jesus Christ, etc That is what divides the nation, a christian nation would all follow Jesus Christ
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Hi Ex :)

No, I don't think we are nor would I want us to be. I want us to continue to be free to choose to be or not.

I like it separate and I think it should be separate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 07:00 PM
    I believe America was primarily a Christian nation, when it was first formed and during a lot of its early history, I believe Christian concepts were included in a large amount of our early laws. We see the 10 commandants even displayed in the Supreme Court of the US.
    Most of the sessions of Congress are started in prayer, Most US presidents were sworn in with a bible. Until recently all military Chaplains were Christian.

I would say that since the majority of the US are not really Christian, a majority may still go to christian churches or belong, most have little real active faith that they live by.

I have said many times on the boards, that the US has not been a Christian nation for some time.
    sasachel Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Christians:

We have a nice argument going on about Obamas pastor. Most people think he's a separatist. I dunno that he's not.....

But my questions are about YOU. Does YOUR church teach that America is a Christian nation? Certainly, my experience on these boards tell me that it's not an unpopular belief among Christians. Do you believe it? If you don't, and you hear it in church, do you say anything about it? Do you stay in that church? If your church doesn't teach that, do you know of other churches that do? What do you do about that?

Do you think that the belief that America is a Christian nation is a belief that divides us, or brings us together? Do you care?

excon
    Truth... the United states main religion is Christianity and that is a fact. So I guess you could say it is a christian nation. But there are so many other cultures and religions in our country also. But the CHURCH! I have never heard them say that we are a christian nation. I hear them say that christians need to speak up and defend their religion.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I think it is how you define Christians. Having the love of Christ in your heart, and trying our very best to follow His teachings, then yes that would be my definition of a Christian.

However, I see so much the oppostite, that I would much prefer to be identified as an American, proud at that, and practice my faith in a free way, that was granted to me by those who keep it free and who have given their lives so that we may freely believe in whatever it is we believe.

I think to rubberstamp America in anyway - is isolating so many other wonderful Americans.

Let's keep Church and State separate.

( nice avaitar by the way Sasa :)

Mar 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sasachel
    Truth...the United states main religion is Christianity and that is a fact.
    Actually that's false. The United States doesn't have a religion main or otherwise. This is specifically stated in the Constitution. It may be true that a majority of Americans practice some form of Christianity, but that doesn't make it the "main" religion nor does it make the US a Christian nation.

I believe that the Founding Fathers believed in the Judeo-Christian ethic. That may be what most people mean when referring to the US as a christian nation.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Christians:

We have a nice argument going on about Obamas pastor. Most people think he's a separatist. I dunno that he's not.....

But my questions are about YOU. Does YOUR church teach that America is a Christian nation? Certainly, my experience on these boards tell me that it’s not an unpopular belief among Christians. Do you believe it? If you don't, and you hear it in church, do you say anything about it? Do you stay in that church? If your church doesn't teach that, do you know of other churches that do? What do you do about that?

excon
    I believe the United States is a Christian nation because it was founded by Christians based on Christian values.
    James Watkins: Were the Founding Fathers of the United States Christians?

One fundamental Christian value is the freedom of conscience.
    CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1782

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The Nation of Israel [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for this information, The Nation of Israel. I am doing a paper on Judaism and one of the things I have to look for is The Nation of Israel. Most everything I find is on the Sects of Judaism. Can any one give me any idea's or help?

What will happen if the Nation raise the minimum wage? [ 34 Answers ]

What will come along when it happens? Thanks:)

Solve Interval Nation [ 5 Answers ]

3x<=6x-9/3<+10 The question My answer 3x<=2x-9<=10 3x<=2x-9 or 2x-9<=10 3x+9<=2 9<=2x-3

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

View more questions Search