Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CuthbertRumbold Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Retrofit vent chutes in cathedral ceiling
    Hi All,

I'm refinishing the cathedral ceiling in my living room. A carpenter friend suggests I should pull down the insulation batts and install vent chutes while I have things opened up. There's currently no ventilation up there as far as I can tell. It doesn't look like there is a ridge vent, and there are definitely no soffit vents. There is no evidence of moisture behind the insulation that I can see, but I guess this would be a good opportunity to prevent it becoming a problem later.

The exterior of the roof is pretty new, probably less than 5 years old, so I don't imagine we'd be doing any roofing work anytime soon otherwise. How much of a job is installing a ridge vent in an existing roof? I'd definitely hire a roofer for that part; the roof is very steep. Or maybe it could wait? Is there any downside to installing the vent chutes now, even if it could be a while before the rest of the ventilation system is in place?

The house was built in the 1950s, and we're in Maine.

Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks!

Roy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Do not cut vents in that roof just yet. Lets look at this again. The house is nearly 60 years old, no moisture problem, no real issue for half of a century. All you have is one guy suggesting something and what if he doesn't really know what he is talking about, folks do that you know. Ridge vents and other vents are for attics, not heated living spaces or cathedral ceilings. They are passive and leak air via convection currents and you'll be paying to heat that air. If it were me Roy I think I asked a architect or professional roofer in your climate if any venting is ever used in a cathedral ceiling, they sure aren't in Chicago.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
    If it ain't broke , don't fix it.
    CuthbertRumbold Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Well I spoke to a roofer as ballengerb1 suggested. He said that yes, it is standard practice to use this type of ventilation system in a cathedral ceiling in our area. Basically he said that if it was his house he'd install baffles while the ceiling was open. We'll do the ridge vent some time in the future. He also suggested we add some 1" rigid foam panels to augment the insulation. The rafters are only 2x6 so there's not much fiberglass up there, and the panels (with taped seams) will help reduce air infiltration. Sounds like a plan to me.

Any other comments welcomed. Thanks for your help guys!
    GAFMASTER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 09:11 AM
    9 out of 10 homes are improperly vented. Houses are becoming more and more airtight. New windows, insulation behind siding, etc... Do it right, or pay the consequences later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling in a house [ 10 Answers ]

Please tell me how to insulate a catherdral ceiling

Venting Cathedral ceiling in Florida Keys [ 8 Answers ]

I have a metal roof. I only use heat about about 4 or 5 days a year (when it gets below 60). I only use the central air about 30 days a year. The rest of the time my windows are open because I get a nice breeze. I am planning to install drywall on the walls and ceiling. It is quite a bit hotter...

Lighting ideas for pine cathedral ceiling? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm looking for some ideas for lighting my LR+kitchen. It's a room about 25ft x 16ft, completely 'open plan' with a cathedral (or vaulted) ceiling. The peak is up about 20 feet. There's a 2nd floor loft above and to the rear. We're redoing the ceiling in pine. I'm trying to...

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm building a cabin in the woods up here in Alaska. This is my first time building something out of wood besides a tree fort. I'm a welder. Anyway my cabin dimension is 16' wide by 24' long with 10' walls. The roof pitch is 12x12 (heavy snow load). I built the roof with the idea of...

Move electrical box in cathedral ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

My electrical box in my cathedral ceiling is closer to the wall as I have track lighting(6 feet).I would like to move the box to the middle of my room so I can hang a ceiling fan above my bed.Is this difficult?

View more questions Search