Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naly50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Move electrical box in cathedral ceiling
    My electrical box in my cathedral ceiling is closer to the wall as I have track lighting(6 feet).I would like to move the box to the middle of my room so I can hang a ceiling fan above my bed.Is this difficult?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
    This may be easy if the new box will be in the same bay as the existing box. Can be difficult if not. I will assume the existing box is in line with the new location.

Once the new box opening is cut, snake (fish) a new cable from the existing box to the new opening. Depending on the amount of insulation there is will dictate how difficult this will be. May need to use an electricians fish tape.This is made of stiff metal or fibreglass to push through insulation.

The new box for the paddle fan is important. It must be rated to support a ceiling fan, and must be able to attach directly and firmly to the wood joist/rafter. There are several on the market that are designed for old work, some metal with expanding bars that dig into the wood framing member, and some that are plastic that attach to the bottom of the framing member.

You can find round metal finish blank plates to cover the junction box where the track light was taken down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling in a house [ 10 Answers ]

Please tell me how to insulate a catherdral ceiling

Floor electrical box [ 1 Answers ]

How can an in-floor electrical plug in box be installed in the middle of a room (such as a great room) when the home is already finished and the ceiling in the room below is sheet rocked?

Electrical box too small [ 3 Answers ]

The house is 35 years old. When I tried to install some new specialized switches in the bathroom, there was not enough room in the box for the wiring behind the new (larger) switches. Is there any solution other than cutting the drywall, removing the old box, installing a new larger box, and then...

Install/move electrical box in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install modern lighting in my master bathroom. I currently have fluorescent lighting surrounded by framing to hide the lighting fixtures. Problem is, since my home is close to 30 years old, the conductor feeding the fixtures comes straight out of the wall, without the presence of an...

Punching new hole in electrical box [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a tool for punching a large hole in an electrical box when there is no punchout in the right place? Thanks Ron

View more questions Search