Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BETH KLOPF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Adult paternity rights
    I am 22 , I would like to know if I can legally force someone to take a paternity test to find out my medical history and for peace of mind, not for financial gain? Also my mother was married to this man at the time I was conceived however she did not list him on my birth certificate.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
    I don't know if you can but I am pretty sure that if it is a serious health issue your doctor could press the issue.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 10:07 AM
    You can not force a paternaty test just for peace of mind. You can ask for one but if he dosen't want it he dosen't have to do it. If you have a serious medical condition or your doctor needs more records for testing for a serious medical condition you can also have a signed statement from your doc. To go to court with you but a Judge could still overturn it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Normally no, unless it is for probate court to prove for issues of a will, normally no you can not force them. If they have any known grown children, sometimes they will just agree to a test ( or will for a few bucks)
    But then sometimes not, but if they do, the tests can see if you share similar DNA
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Hello Beth:

I think the above answers are correct. I don't think you can force him.

However, that doesn't mean you can't get a sample of his DNA and have it tested yourself. People leave their DNA all over the place. If you followed him around for a day, I'm sure you can find a soda can or a cigarette butt or a fork that has his spit on it.

You could learn even more from that, than a medical history.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proving paternity as an adult child [ 16 Answers ]

Does the state of Tennessee have a statue of limitations on proving paternity? I am an adult child and would like to sue a man for a paternity test. I never knew intil recently where my possible father lives. Recently I did find him but he denies ever knowing my mother.

Adult paternity rights [ 8 Answers ]

What rights does an adult have to leagally force the issue of establishing paternity? The father listed on the birth certificate it incorrect. If the adult child has no rights can a grandchild or great-grandchild force the issue, even if only for medical and corrected document reasons?

Adult child paternity rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have any right to determine who my father is? I am 32 years old, and have been trying tactfully to contact the man who is said to be my father. I want nothing more from him than the truth... is he my father? If he is, all I am looking for is family tree information and...

Adult paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

I did a sibling study on my adult children and found out that my 23 year old son has a different father. We contacted the biological father and he is not willing to do a DNA test. My son birth certificate has my ex-husband name listed as his father. I did live together with my son biological father...

Adult paternity testing [ 2 Answers ]

Does an adult (Daughter) have the right to a paternity test from an unwilling (father) parent?

View more questions Search