Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caw46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Adult paternity rights
    I did a sibling study on my adult children and found out that my 23 year old son has a different father. We contacted the biological father and he is not willing to do a DNA test. My son birth certificate has my ex-husband name listed as his father. I did live together with my son biological father when my son was two years old in North Carolina, but we never got married. After three years I moved to Texas.
    What rights do my adult son have to legally force the issue of establishing paternity, and do he have any inheritance rights, or any legal rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2007, 06:45 AM
    You need to contact a family attorney. At this point he may not have any rights.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caw46
    I did a sibling study on my adult children and found out that my 23 year old son has a different father. We contacted the biological father and he is not willing to do a DNA test. My son birth certificate has my ex-husband name listed as his father. I did live together with my son biological father when my son was two years old in North Carolina, but we never got married. After three years I moved to Texas.
    What rights do my adult son have to legally force the issue of establishing paternity, and do he have any inheritance rights, or any legal rights?
    If your ex-husband's name is on BS your ex-husband is the legal father and you CANNOT force the biological father to do DNA test.Your son does not have any inheritance rights from his boyfriend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Normally no rights what so ever. If there is an issue to estate, at probate sometimes they can get a DNA test .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proving paternity as an adult child [ 16 Answers ]

Does the state of Tennessee have a statue of limitations on proving paternity? I am an adult child and would like to sue a man for a paternity test. I never knew intil recently where my possible father lives. Recently I did find him but he denies ever knowing my mother.

Adult paternity rights [ 8 Answers ]

What rights does an adult have to leagally force the issue of establishing paternity? The father listed on the birth certificate it incorrect. If the adult child has no rights can a grandchild or great-grandchild force the issue, even if only for medical and corrected document reasons?

Adult child paternity rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have any right to determine who my father is? I am 32 years old, and have been trying tactfully to contact the man who is said to be my father. I want nothing more from him than the truth... is he my father? If he is, all I am looking for is family tree information and...

Adult paternity testing [ 2 Answers ]

Does an adult (Daughter) have the right to a paternity test from an unwilling (father) parent?

Can an adult sue Biological Father for proof of Paternity [ 2 Answers ]

I am 30+ years old and recently found out in the last year that my biological father is not who I thought it was. When I contacted the man who my mother told me was my biological father, he denied it. At this age is there any way I can sue for Paternity just to prove that he is my biological...

View more questions Search