Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosey72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
    A bill that is 71/2 yrs old
    I got a letter in the mail couple weeks ago from a collection agency saying that I owe them $117 for a phone bill back in 2000. I have never got anything from them till now. They said they couldn't find me for 71/2 years. I got my other bills forwarded to be but not this one. Do I have to pay it?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 PM
    If it is a legitimate bill and you received services from this company, then yes, you have to pay. It's not their fault that they couldn't find you, they still deserve to get paid for the service they provided.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
    I would guess not knowing your area and laws, that it would be past any statue of limitation

Now a funny thing that caught me when I moved back to atlanta,
    I guess one of my grown boys, ( I had signed for there electric about 8 years ago here in Atlanta) so they owed their last month bill when they moved, Well I moved back to atlanta, so while it is out of the SOL and they can't sue me, but they did refuse to hook up my service until they were paid the past due bill.
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Isn't the statue of limitations 8 years in most states? I can't prove it, but I'm sure that I read that somewhere. Tell me if I'm dreaming.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Just varies on type of bill, and the state.

2 to 15 years with many at 3 years

Here is a chart, most likely out dated the day it was printed, but will give you an idea

Statute of Limitations
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Thanks for the info Fr_Chuck.

I'm still looking for a new Avatar for you. Not that the nuns aren't nice.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Mar 13, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Do you owe the phone bill to your knowledge or do you believe you had paid it? If you owe it, then you should pay it.

If not, is it a cell phone or residential line? I ask because some types of communications are regulated federally, rather than by state including the statute of limitations. You may want to read this article Sued For Cell Phone Bill After Two Years - You May Have A Lawsuit Of Your Own :: Alabama Consumer Law Blog and this regarding federal jurisdiction for communications US CODE: Title 47,CHAPTER 5—WIRE OR RADIO COMMUNICATION
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 06:56 AM
    You ask "Do I have to pay it?". The answer to that question is; if the bill's legitimate than yes.

If your question was 'what can they do to collect?', my answer would probably be that they can only send you dunning letters unles the SOL hasn't expired. If your question was; 'Do I have to pay the whole amount?' that would depend on whether the amount includes interest and late fees. You may be able to negotiate a settlement for less.

But if this is a legitimate bill, you have an obligation to pay it.
    rosey72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    If it is a legitimate bill and you received services from this company, then yes, you have to pay. It's not their fault that they couldn't find you, they still deserve to get paid for the service they provided.

I talk to a my lawyer and they said not to talk to them or associate with them. As long as I didn't make any payment agreements with them and that I said that I owe this company and I didn't do either. Our law is six years in my state. I tried to set up payments but they wouldn't accept them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Set up payments for $117?? Again, while the SOL may have expired that does NOT change your obligation to pay. It just means they can't sue you to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8 yrs apart [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all! I work at bally total fitness and everyday this really cute guy comes in and we flirt and talk for a little then he goes to work out. When he came out the other night he gave me his number and told me to text him. So I have been texting him last night and then today I asked him how...

8 yrs apart 2! [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you all for reading and responding to my last post. I understand what you are saying. I'm not a slut though. Its just when I get wasted I doo dumb shhhiiit. I am going back to school on Sunday... I am making a promise to myself: I AM not going to be the idiot I was last yr. even if I do get...

I've liked him for 4 yrs [ 2 Answers ]

Okay there is this guy I've liked since I was 13 it has been an on and off crush. Like I'd see him and my feelings for him would come back then I would'n see himm for a while and so on. But anyway were friends on myspace and he posts all the bullitins saying how depressed he is and I comfort him...

Its been 11 and 13 yrs [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a cousin who has had custody of her 3 grandchildren since they were infants.Their mother has chemical issues and mental health issues.Now Mom decides she wants them back.she has a boyfriend who got out of prison not too long ago.They are in a different State trying to get subsidized...

View more questions Search