Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtrgirl0823 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Injured Puppy - too little for pain meds?
    My puppy is only 3.8 pounds and 16 weeks old (small breed). She just broke her elbow. The vet's office did not want to prescribe pain meds because of her size. She is currently in a splint for the next 4 weeks. Does anyone have any tips for helping her with the pain? I'm also concerned that, because she is a puppy, she will re-injure herself.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
    We have giving our dog a half an advil or half a gravol ask you vet though if this would be OK, maybe some children's asprin for pain and fever?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 13, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Tylenol, Ibuprofen and similar drugs are very poisonous to dogs!! The dog's liver is not able to get rid of them like a human can. They are even more dangerous in cats. Aspirin can also build up to dangerous levels quickly. In addition all of these medicines can cause severe stomach ulcers and GI bleeds. If the vet is hesitant to use an approved medication because of the dog's size, definitely DO NOT try human meds.
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 14, 2008, 07:51 PM
    That is why I said to check with the vet first. Thaaaank yooouuu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Type of meds 2 help kick pain meds. [ 5 Answers ]

I was told there are medications to help kick pain pill addiction. PLEASE if anyone knows the names of them whether meds or a supplement let me know.

Addicted To Pain Meds [ 12 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old stay at home mommy and I am married to a wonderful man! I think that I may be addicted to pain meds... I take 2 ultram EVERYDAY and when I start to run low, I panic and I try and figure out where I am going to get me some more. If I can't get more Ultram, then I try and find...

Pain meds while pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and my doctor has prescribe vitaril until I have the baby. Is it safe for me and more important for my baby?

Puppy being given pain meds [ 9 Answers ]

My vet is giving my 10 week old puppy pain meds for this and it is past a week. I am wondering if perhaps my stay at home husband is just not wanting to deal with puppy recovery. Is this much pain medication the norm? Thanks for your help;)

Refusal to take pain meds when dying [ 3 Answers ]

Not a question, but a perspective I had not thought about. I attended the wake of a friend's mother yesterday. She had terminal cancer, fought the fight, and eventually lost. We found out about her passing on the way to my wife's aunt's funeral, another cancer victim. At the wake, her...

View more questions Search