Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colonelchimp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
    How can I reprogram a 1988 Cadillac keyless entry
    Hi there, I am brand new to this site and hoping someone out there can help!

I have a 1988 Cadillac fleetwood, V8 front wheel drive with digital dashboard, I took it to a GM dealer to have the car programmed for the new keyless remote I got to replacehe busted one, but after an hour, they came to me saying they had no clue how to do it! How can that be? They are a dealer, OK not a cadillac dealer, but GM dealer all the same, I thought they were the ones who could fix any GM problem, oh well, I am hoping that someone pout there can tell me how to program my caddy! I have had a couple of suggestions, but neither worked, first was to bridge two terminals on the adsl plug under the dash, and another was to hold two buttons on the digital heater controls, which puts it into diagnostic mode, but the code they mentioned didn't even show up, so I am now completely lost, if a gm dealer don't know, what chance have I got? Any help most gratefully received, many thanks, in advance, CC:)
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Well, you're in luck. We have someone here that I know can help you. He's the Captain when it comes to Caddys. So hang in there, don't go messn' with any wires just yet. I think I see him now.
    Oh Captain, oh CaptainRich? Your services are needed...

Oh... and welcome to the forum.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Bump
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Thanks for the bump, kitch!

First thing I need you to do, CC, is to look in the trunk. Remove the plastic cover from the rear area of the trunk opening and see if there is a single wire with a black plastic terminal that leads to no-where (often found just right of center under that cover). Let me know if you find it. Otherwise, some of those do program through the data link connector or scan tool.

CC, from whom did you get the new remote? Is it original equipment or more likely an aftermarket accessory?

In defense of GM techs, all are not wise to Cadillacs.
    Cadillac's are a totally different breed than say, a Chevy or a Buick even.
    It's best to take your Chevy to a Caddy tech, than your Caddy to a Chevy tech, generally speaking.

Mar 12, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Hi there, well I am going to look real dumb now, I had a look in the trunk, behind the carpeting, (I don't have any plastic in the trunk that I can see) I couldn't see any wires that didn't seem to go anywhere, they all went somewhere, even the real skinny one all on it's own over the right rear wheel arch, went into the rear panel for something! So am I looking on the right place?? I have a haynes manual for it, but it doesn' mention programming the remote, so which piece of plastic do I have to look out for?

Mar 28, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Helloo? Anyone there?
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Wish I could help you, dude, but know nothing 'bout Catteracs.
    I'll bump it up a notch.

Name:  bump2.gif
Views: 195
Size:  6.1 KB
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    .....some of those do program through the data link connector or scan tool.

CC, from whom did you get the new remote? Is it original equipment or more likely an aftermarket accessory?
    Just wanting to make certain we're attempting to program a factory system.
    I don't recall any remotes for this model year... but then it's been a while since having seen that model year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Keyless Entry Reprogram to match Chamberlin [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed a Chamberlain 1/2HP chain drive model 248730 garage door opener motor. It was a single button remote, single button garage mounted opener. I simply installed the motor on my existing Sears Craftsman setup. Everything works, including the 3 button garage mounted opener, light...

View more questions Search