Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JL FANATIC Posts: 40, Reputation: 7

Mar 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Tub and Toilet
    My tub and toilet is not draining. I know that you have to go from the bottom up but could there be some kind of restriction anywere?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
    The tub drains to the same pipe as the toilet drain which is 3" or 4" Your clog is after they joint together. Toilet auger is probably a waste of time and getting down the tub overflow to the clog may be difficult but worth a try. You can always pull the toilet and rod the drain from that pipe but try the tub first.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Hi JL

If both clogged then I would lift the toilet and snake the drain from there. Are you sure no other fixtures are an issue?

If more fixtures involved then may need to snake the main drain itself. If only the toilet and the sink... then lift toilet and auger/snake the drain line from there.

Any idea what could have caused this? Are you on a slab? Any cleanout in basement pipes near this toilet drain? Do you have kids... hmmm.. Any babies (diapers/wipies, etc.)? Any chance paper towels got down there..

Let us know what you are thinking and if we can help. Take care... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet and tub won't drain [ 1 Answers ]

I was taking a shower today and the washing machine was going. I heard the washing machine drain when I started hearing bubbles coming from the toilet. The shower drain started bubbling and stuff came up the drain and it won't go back down. The toilets filed with nasty looking water and it won't...

Toilet and Tub connection [ 1 Answers ]

I have had solid waste back up into my tub from my toilet. This is obviously plumbed incorrectly. Is there a diagram showing how plumbing should be done. Is there a way to block the toilet from the tub? Help!!

Toilet and tub swap [ 1 Answers ]

Dumb question... Can I switch a toilet and tub in my master bath? I know the piping is different dimensions. How can I work around this?

Toilet backs up into tub [ 2 Answers ]

Help! When we flush our toilet, it gurgles and backs up into the tub (raw sewage! ) It doesn't happen every time, though. We have tried plunging and pouring extra water down the toilet. Sometimes the toilet flushes with the extra water; sometimes it just fills up. We have snaked toilet and...

View more questions Search