Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinR49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
    White stuff on my brick
    My church building that is about a year and a half old has a white substance on the interior brick walls. What is it and what can be done about it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
    It's caused by moisture. It's effervesence(spelling?). It can be removed with muratic acid (Dilute hydrochloric acid) which is available at a hardware store.

You have to find the source of the moisture.

Not sure how to seal brick, but it would need to be etched first with the acid.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Is it getting damp?
    Is it powdery? Crystallized?

It could be mold, calcium build up,

You probably need to use a brick cleaner and then a brick sealer.
    Inside the building you need something that isn't toxic to breath and do it in the warmer weather when you can open all doors and windows.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 3, 2008, 09:25 AM
    It is called efflorescence, caused by salts which are present in the wall and being pushed out by moisture. It may be from the morter drying up and will not come back once you have it cleaned, or there may be a source of water getting into the brick in which case it will continue to form. Have it cleaned and see if it comes back. Be careful with acids, they may burn or discolor the brick. Power washing with water or sandblasting can also be used. You should talk to whoever installed it for you before sealing it, make sure there is not a source of water or you may trap in inside the wall.
    btd1977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 07:02 AM
    You are exactly right but I have found that using 25% diluted and doing several treatments saves your natural color.Be patient but it does work very well.I have a masonary background and starting a new business in concrete countertops so pass the word around and get an extraordinary product (comparible to any granite or marble tops without corner seams)for way less than half the cost.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Oct 14, 2009, 06:22 PM
    It's efflorescence I agree. Be careful with acids, I don't think using Muriatic Acids should be used indoors unless the entire building is very well ventilated by openning all window and doors. The acid can ruin all metal items.

Read about efflorescence here. TCNA - Technical Services: FAQ

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White stuff from my nipple [ 19 Answers ]

:confused: I know I am not pregnant because I just had a period and it's been coming on consistently every month. Today I noticed that I had some white stuff on my nipple when I squeezed it. The stuff wasn't wet or milky like breast milk. This stuff looks dry. Are you able to help me?...

Bump on penis skin, white seed-like stuff [ 13 Answers ]

Yea.. I think I have the problem too.. little bump on the skin at the mid shaft(most of them at my circumcised area) ,I got several of them.. and some of the white stuff are soft(cream-type) and some are a little hard(something like seed) will be squeezed out if put on pressure, no any pain...

Foundation growing white chalky stuff [ 2 Answers ]

My Foundation in the basement is growing white chalky like stuff on it down by the floor this is not a room we really use just for storage. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks Tara

White on brick [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my brick bleed white phosphorescents? And how do I clean it so it doesn't come back?

White stuff on red brick patio [ 4 Answers ]

Its powdery, white and I can't get rid of it. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

View more questions Search