Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TimL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Toilet install on new raised tile floor
    Just finished putting a new tile floor over the old one in our guest bathroom. Now is time for me to install the new toilet. The old toilet flange is still in place but now the height of the tile below the new floor level. I purchased a "flange extension" piece from HD but want to confirm I'm doing the right thing. My plan is to place the extension flange directly on the old one with either plumbers putty or waterproof caulk, insert longer mounting bolts to account for the additional height and then mount the toilet with a standard wax seal. Will that work or is there a better (read more foolproof... me being the fool!) to do this.
    Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
    The spacer should solve your issue. The top face of the flange should be level with the top surface of the floor. An oversized wax ring can make up for about a 1/4" variance but anything more than that should get a spacer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

Raised Toilet in Basement [ 2 Answers ]

The previous homeowners installed a basement bathroom. Rather than digging in cement they built a platform for the toilet to sit on. It's literally a throne! :D I want to remove the platform and install the toilet, as well as a standup shower, at the ground level. There is cement under the...

What to install UNDER ceramic floor tile [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've read about 100 different theories on what (if anything) you are supposed to put under ceramic floor tile (i.e. cement board, underlayment, etc.). We need to install our tile in the basement (which is currently just a concrete floor). If it matters, there are only a couple of VERY small...

Raised Floor for Plumbing in Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to pour the slab for a Garage\Guest House. This Guest house consists of a room with a Bathroom and Closet. This question is kind of double sided, Construction and plumbing, so I thought I would be safe and put it into Construction. I hope I am right. To Explain myself before I...

Toilet Re-install on tile floor [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished tiling my bathroom floor. I purchased the extended wax ring to re-install my toilet and thought all would work well. However I have discovered that the closet bolts are not long enough! These are new bolts and are about 1/2 inch to short... any suggestions? Can I just buy...

View more questions Search