Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DebAnderson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 01:47 AM
    Raised Toilet in Basement
    The previous homeowners installed a basement bathroom. Rather than digging in cement they built a platform for the toilet to sit on. It's literally a throne! :D
    I want to remove the platform and install the toilet, as well as a standup shower, at the ground level. There is cement under the platform. I have a new toilet - water conservation kind and want to keep it. What kind of cost am I looking at? Is this a DIY project with 2 handy people who are not plumbers? Is there equipment available that eliminates the need to dig out the cement? Thanks for your help! :)
    Sitting tall in Niagara Falls
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 03:26 AM
    I have to comment on the throne in the house we once owned. Otherwise, I may have left this question go. The sewer in that house exited the basement about a foot above the floor. In the corner next to it, somebody had poured a concrete platform and mounted the throne 2 steps up from the floor.

It sounds to me doable. You can rent a saw and even an electric jackhammer. I think the shower drain will need a vent, but the plumbers here can tell you how to do it. If you run PVC, the plumbing itself, will be fairly easy. Posting a diagram of where you think the existing drains are and the layout you plan will help.

The cost partly depends on what you do, a plastic shower out of a box, or a ceramic tile one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
    This is major surgery but can be managed if you've basic plumbing skills. Since you're going to hafta run a vent on the shower it would be silly not to add a lavatory or utility sink and wet vent the shower to the drain line, The main will have to be located under the floor and the floor jack hammered up to install the drainage. A typical basement rough in goes like this. Most basement bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main or the stack vent. Lavatory/ utility sink connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures flood rim. What type of drainage pipes does your house have? Whatever type, I would suggest converting to PVC off the main. Due to varied labor and material prices we do not give estimates or "ballpark figures".
    Good luck, Tom. PS. The last time I was in Niagara Falls was over 60 years ago when I was a boy sailing the Great Lakes On the ore boats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent toilet in basement [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing a shower, sink and toilet in the basement. Do these need to be vented? How do you vent them?

Basement toilet gurgling [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a 16 year old townhouse with a basement and two levels abouve ground... recently, the basement toilet gurgles when the washing machine (also in basement) is draining... then the gurgling led to lint backing up into toilet. Now, I went down stairs to find the toilet had overflowed, and...

Bubbling basement toilet [ 1 Answers ]

When the washer, in the basement discharges or the dishwasher upstairs in the kitchen discharges the toilet in the basement "birps", a big bubble and the water in that toilet rises to the top. I shut off the water at the shut off and flushed it a couple of times and it drained fine. From what I...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Temporary Basement Toilet [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new home with a totally unfinished basement. The plumbing (drains & vents) were roughed in by the builder. I want to install a toilet for temporary use while doing framing, etc Down there. At a later date I will probably install ceramic tile on that Bathroom floor. Presently, there...

View more questions Search