Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billyray123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 11:11 AM
    He wants to give up rights
    OK we live in Ohio and my daughters father wants to sign over his rights to one of his other kids. The child does not have his last name but he's currently paying child support. Now do his child support payments stop? How does he go about doing this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
    What does adoption have to do with this?

If you read any of the umpteen threads here that ask the same question you would have had your answer.

Bottomline is that courts are very reluctant to terminate parental rights even voluntarily. Generally this is only granted if there is someone waiting to adopt or the parent presents a danger to the child. In the unlikely event that it is granted without an adoption of the child, then he would still owe child support.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Signing over rights simply means he will have no rights to make decisions regarding the health and welfare of the child. It does not absolve him from his financial obligations to the child, he will still have to pay child support.

The only way to end support would be if there were someone in line waiting to adopt the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to give up my rights [ 4 Answers ]

I want to give up my rights to a child I never meet or did not even know I had till a year ago he lives on the end of the US and I am not able to even go there to see a lawyer or anything so I just want to sign away my rights because I'm married now and a child on the way so please anyone that can...

I want my ex to give up his rights! [ 12 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and I have a 4-year-old boy. My ex never became responsible for my son. He wanted to be there emotionally, but not financially. I was with him until my son was about 12 months old. After I left him, he was using and selling drugs and he's been in and out of jail. I'm glad I never...

Give up rights [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to relinquish all rights to a child. I live in New York State. How do I go about this?

HOW TO GIVE UP your rights away. [ 5 Answers ]

HOw can you sign your rights away as a father? What is the process and can the mother say no... Would you still pay child support>?

View more questions Search