Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cchayes33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I want to give up my rights
    I want to give up my rights to a child I never meet or did not even know I had till a year ago he lives on the end of the US and I am not able to even go there to see a lawyer or anything so I just want to sign away my rights because I'm married now and a child on the way so please anyone that can tell me how to do this with out having to go all the way back across the country please help I don't have the money to get a lawyer and go I really need help please
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Since you haven't been exercising your rights all along, you just continue to do what you have been doing it'll be a lot cheaper.

If you are wanting to relinquish your rights to get out of child support, it just doesn't work that way. You are, and will be, financially responsible for the child.

If it were that easy to get out of child support folks would be lined up for miles at courthouses all around the world.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Why sign over any rights, you don't appear you are going to use any of them. Your rights is just your ability to visit the child and have some say in the child's life.

Now I bet what you did not say, was you wanted your child support to stop also, sorry, even if you give up your rights ( which you can't without the other parents and the courts permission anyway) but you still have to pay child support unless the other parent has a new partner to adopt.

So just don't use those rights and pay that child support
    Momma to three Posts: 53, Reputation: 14

Jan 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
    You'd probably be better off just to leave things the way they are at this point. What's the point of giving up rights that you aren't using anyway? Seems a waste of money and time to me.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 20, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Sorry J_9 I meant you and wrote ScottGem... I'm was watching the Packers play and typing and obviously not paying close enough attention. I am very sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my ex to give up his rights! [ 12 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and I have a 4-year-old boy. My ex never became responsible for my son. He wanted to be there emotionally, but not financially. I was with him until my son was about 12 months old. After I left him, he was using and selling drugs and he's been in and out of jail. I'm glad I never...

Give up rights [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to relinquish all rights to a child. I live in New York State. How do I go about this?

Give up parential rights [ 6 Answers ]

My ex wants to sign over his rights. Can he do that with out me having someone to adopt him with me?

HOW TO GIVE UP your rights away. [ 5 Answers ]

HOw can you sign your rights away as a father? What is the process and can the mother say no... Would you still pay child support>?

Give up my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is paul and I have a problem. Me and my ex girlfriend have a son together. My son will be 2 years old dec. 27 and I have not seen him since he was 8 months old. The mother has taken me for child support. I never received a court notice to go to court so it ended up in a default...

View more questions Search