Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Feb 25, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Drywall Questions
    I have a couple of questions about putting up drywall/pricing.

1. Currently, there is paneling up in both rooms we want to drywall. We will be doing both the walls and the ceiling. The ceiling is a drop ceiling which we will need to remove- there are just bare beams on one side, and a ceiling on the other which I suppose we'll have to remove so that it's all even (the rooms run into one another, so the ceilings need to line up)- We don't know right now what is behind the paneling- I see what looks like plaster beneath one of the boards that has popped up in one room, but I'm not sure that it is in the whole room/both rooms. Should I take my chances and rip out all the paneling, see what's beneath it and work from there? If nothing, I can put up the drywall on the beams no problem- if plaster, then what? Or should I avoid the whole thing by putting it up right over the paneling?

2. The cost of doing it ourselves seems to be significantly lower than what I've read online for installation- by about $1000 or more. The rooms run into each other, so a rough idea of the area is 14ft x 25ft, approx 9ft high ceilings, and then the ceilings as well- then there are three doorways, two windows, and a section that's about 8ft x 5ft of brick that we won't be going over- so I'm thinking a generous estimate of square footage would be about 1,000 sq ft, is that about right?
    The prices I've read online were about $0.40/sq ft for materials if we do it ourselves vs $1.50 sq/ft for it to be installed by someone else- that's $440 vs. $1650- HUGE! Is it really that expensive? Does anyone know the going rate for this kind of work during March or April in Buffalo, NY? What if we hung it all ourselves and hired someone to come in and finish it? Any idea what that would run?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    phpgeekster Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
    1. If you truly want a good job, Do Not drywall over the paneling. Take walls and ceiling down to the studs/frame wall and ceiling rafters.
    2. To cut cost hang it yourself and hire some one to finish it for you.

If you go to your local building supply and give them the measurements of the rooms, they should be able to tell you how much drywall you'll need and a price per sheet. I'd recommend 1/2 thin no less.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 26, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Your estimate for $1650 may be on the high side somewhat . As for just finishing it I figure 18 dollars a board, and I also figured about 36 boards.
    robkelly2242 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Unless there are 2 of you, you'll need a panel lifter for the drywall. Add that to your cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Rough drywall [ 4 Answers ]

We removed panelling from our family room and the drywall under neath is rough. Is there an easy way to cover this mess or will we have to have the drywall replaced? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks Marty

Drywall to drywall [ 2 Answers ]

I need to resurface a wall that has a layer of 1/2" drywall with another layer of 1/2" drywall. I intend to use laminating adhesive and type g gypsum screws. Do I need to be concerned about getting these screws into the studs or just screw drywall to drywall?

Tub drywall [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to put in a new bathtub after gutting our old bathroom. I am not sure if the drywall surrounding the tub should go down to the floor or stop at the tub?

How To Drywall over TV Hole [ 2 Answers ]

Currently, my 36" television is in a large cut out over my fireplace in my living room. There is also a panel in the sidewall of the hole that contains hookups for electric, cable, and stereo. Although the tv is nice, it is not an HDTV, and I would like to replace it with a flat panel LCD HDTV. ...

View more questions Search