Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunlap56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Rough drywall
    We removed panelling from our family room and the drywall under neath is rough. Is there an easy way to cover this mess or will we have to have the drywall replaced? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks Marty
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 3, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Without seeing a pic of the wall, id assume that the wall has glue or something like it on there. If you know how to mud sheetrock id scrap off what I could and just float the rest off.

Other than that, taking it off and redoing it would be the next option,
    dunlap56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    without seeing a pic of the wall, id assume that the wall has glue or something like it on there. If you know how to mud sheetrock id scrap off what i could and just float the rest off.

other than that, taking it off and redoing it would be the next option,
    Thanks, your right about the glue. We'll try the mud and go from there, and see if it turns out. If not we'll just have to replace the dry wall.
    Marty
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Glavines approach is very good. Just scrap and then apply fresh mud. I use the dry mix 45 minute bags for first coat so I can just quickly move forward to 2nd coat or final coat. The big bucket premix is best used for final coats.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 5, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Could just put another layer of 1/4" drywall up if it doesn't work out and it is fairly flat, then you won't have to remove / replace what is there now. Just a thought, I had a similar issue on an exterior wall (with no windows) and did that to avoid damagng the vapor barrier and insulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Drywall on ceilings [ 7 Answers ]

We are building our own home to earn equity program. My husband hung our drywall using 1/2 inch sheets on the ceilings with 24" in between joists. We have been told by our drywall finisher that the ceiling will sag because we were supposed to use 5/8. Is there anything we can do now to correct...

Drywall to drywall [ 2 Answers ]

I need to resurface a wall that has a layer of 1/2" drywall with another layer of 1/2" drywall. I intend to use laminating adhesive and type g gypsum screws. Do I need to be concerned about getting these screws into the studs or just screw drywall to drywall?

Finishing drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I have built a new interior wall in a room that had existing textured ceilings. I'm just wondering how to go about mudding the seams where the new wall meets the old ceiling. I assume I'll want to scrape the texture off so that the tape can lay flat against the ceiling? I've never done texturing...

Tiling over drywall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wood stove. I want to put slate tile behind it. Can I tile directly onto the painted drywall. If not what must I do?:

View more questions Search