Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breadboxartstudio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Exhusband stopped c.s on loophole can it be started again to my daughter directly?
    Frustrating. I have full custody. My daughter does not reside with me, she has been residing with my sister for the last few years to finish out her schooling where she started. I bought a home 37 miles away- my daughter did not adjust and my sister offered for her to live with her to finish school .
    My exhusband had the child support recently stopped due to the fact the original order stated it be paid to me for her support. I have the same account the deposit always went into- I just gave my sister the debit card to remove the child support and take care of it on her end. I have also contributed finances by cash and occasional checks from my second personal account that I use as well as cash deposits on the first account for my daughter.
    My exhusband is demanding my daughter live with me to be entitled to the support. My daughter is 4 months from graduating. My exhusband is trying to tell the court my daughter is emancipated (she is not). She goes to school full time, is not employed and is just not ready for being out on her own. My daughter has a boyfriend- my exhusband is trying to say that they are engaged (they are not). He and his lawyer are driving me to tears. I hired an attorney who is not familiar with family law and has not represented me well. The attorney did not state that he was not familiar with family law until the day of the court and obviously we lost the child support. My daughter is a week away from turning 18. I cannot make up the difference of child support as I have 5 children to support (4 with me) including my oldest daughter residing at my sister's house.
    We decided to petition the court to transfer custody to my sister due to the fact she has my daughter living with her, but my daughter is only going to be there for another 4 months and I seriously do not think this wise at this point. The court was adjourned due to we attended without an attorney as my attorney said we should be able to handle it ourselves as he saw it as a cut and dry case?
    Can I just have a court appointed guardian for my daughter or can we get the support paid directly to my daughter? She is applying to local colleges right now and I do not want to have to go through the child support getting cut off every few months due to her residence changing?
    Also my exhusband is taking me to court for the "overpayments" of child support that was paid to my account- but it was used for my daughter by my sister- after the filing date and actual court date it was ruled on.
    My exhusband is harassing myself and my daughter stating he will go bancrupt and even sell his own blood to make sure we do not get any of his money. He is even making accusations that our daughter is not his. He sent my daughter a text message stating she is "not going to get any more brain cells on her 18th birthday" and she had better do something to support herself as the free ride is over.
    Frustrating and confused?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Well I agree that child support should not be sent to you since you are not caring for you daughter. Child support should be sent to the child (since she is older) or your sister. You seem to be in quite a tangled mess. I would suggest getting a better attorney and goind back to court. The father ultimately is responsible for supporting his daughter... but if you don't have a good attorney he is able to get around it.

So that is what I would concentrate on... getting a good attorney.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 07:41 AM
    1) realize that this is of your own making.
    2) try to correct what really is wrong and let the other stuff go.
    3) Fire the lawyer you now have as he has no experience in family law.
    4) decide what you really want and see if it even sounds remotely correct.
    Having said that you need to start fresh. Hire one that knows and is familiar with the laws of your area. In effect his claim for emancipation may be valid because she doesn't reside in your home and its with your total consent. Again consult a competent lawyer. As far as getting back overpayments he might get it since she isn't living with you. You should have made everything legal and dotted I's and crossed every T. You have a hard road ahead but not an impossible one.
    Plan of attatck. Make sure you documented everything you have done since she was living with your sister, reciepts and all. Also you will maybe need a custody change of some sort and he will be there for it too. You must remember that going to court and having a lawyer with no experience isn't a good thing and if your not getting what you need from one you hire fire them right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Exhusband claimed child fraudulently [ 2 Answers ]

I recently efiled taxes for my husband and myself only to have them rejected because someone already claimed my son. It turns out that my exhusband claimed him after we discussed it and I told him no. I have custody of my son, a divorce decree stating that I claim him and I did not sign a release...

My deceased exhusband still owes back child support. [ 2 Answers ]

My exhusband died Dec 30, 2007. He still owes back child support. Will I ever see this? He had not filed his taxes for 07 yet and the state would have intercepted the return. Am I or the State of FL considered a creaditor against his estate? It there any hope in ever seeing the money? We need...

Exhusband trying to keep me from selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I have been divorced for several years and I am trying to sell the house we had when we were married. He said he will not sign the papers for me to sell it. Can he keep me from selling it? Is there a way around it?

VCR hookup directly into TV [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any VCR/DVD combo units that can be directly hooked into the TV for recording purposes? That don't have to run through an external box - such as cable or Dish?

View more questions Search