Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcsyankees Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Adjusting bathtub drain linkage
    My problem is that the water continues to run out of the tub when the drain is closed.

I have attempted to adjust the linkage, however I can't stop it from running out. I feel I amy not be adjusting it properly.

Can you help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Yea, I think I can. This can be difficult.

If you pull the linkage completely out you will notice a tube with a hole in it at the top, the bell.

Measure the up displacement of the lever arm from the center of the mechanism when the drain is supposed to be open. Might be 3/4 of an inch or so.

Measure the distance from the center of the mechanism to the middle of the drain pipe (the T). Do this from the access panel.

Find the distance necessary for the bottom of the bell to be just above the drain outlet and adjust the linkage accordingly. When you lift the lever, your lowering the bell which blocks the drain from the tub.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Kiss gave you a great way to adjust the plug. Here's another. Lower the plug. Back the nut holding the plug linkage off until the plug bottoms out. Keep testing until it does. This will leave the chrome face plate plate and lever a little high to reinstall so you simply back up on the nut until you can fit the face plate back in place. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

Linkage needs adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 wrangler. I am having trouble engaging first and reverse on a manual. You really have to shake the shifter to get it in gear. It only happens on 1st and R, is this a problem with my linnkage in my shifter.

Bathtub drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have an upstairs bathtub that the drain won't open up. The lever that opens and closes the drain broke... how do I get the drain open. I can't get at it from the drain itself. Im at a loss for what to do next.

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I cleaned a pair of boots off in the tub. Debris went down the drain from off the boots and I think that this may be part of the problem I am experiencing. Every time I take a bath or shower and the water goes down the drain, it comes out in the basement from under the stairs. This happened twice....

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

View more questions Search