Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Part time residency in the state of Oregon for tax purposes
    So, I work in Alaska and I have a mailing address in Alaska, but I'm also renting an apratment in Oregon, and I travel back and forth every month. I earn nothing while in Oregon, and spend less than 6 months a year in Oregon. A friend advised me to file as a part time resident, and that way I could claim moving expenses for when I moved my stuff to this Oregon apartment, but wouldn't have to pay Oregon state tax. That friend is not a tax expert, but was in a similar situation some years back. Is this valid and how does one go about filing as a part time resident?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Just file the part-year resident form for BOTH states.

It seems to be a valid method of filing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of Part Time State Resident for Income Taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I am a project manager working for an engineering and construction management company. My office is located in NC. I have just been assigned a project in NY. I visit the job site in NY every 2 weeks and stay for about 12 days, so I am in NY about 40% of the time. I do have an apartment in NY...

Residency for NC state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house in North Carolina (NC) in June 2006 while living in Florida (FL) in a house I owned. Foreseeing that I would be moving in a couple of weeks, I changed my drivers license to NC in July because I had moved my auto insurance to NC when I bought the house (package deal on...

Using my rental investment in FL as primary residency for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

This might be complex -- but here we go: I am looking at purchasing oceanfront property in FL and I am wondering if I can use FL's no income tax laws to my advantage. I own a home in NC and work in sales for a company based in NC. Here are a few of my questions: 1. Can I choose to list FL as...

Part time or Non-resident? Which state? [ 5 Answers ]

I filed an extension for 2005 taxes and they are due on the 15th (Yes I realize I really waited too long) I have a simple question, and am using taxcut and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so far. In 2005 I lived and worked in MA, Made wages, received a W-2 from these wages. In July, I quit...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search