Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcrowther Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Electrical issue
    I have a large industrial processing machine, there are a set of heaters out on the machine that occasionally fail. The way these heaters are wired, there is a main feed of 480VAC, 3ph which is fused at 70 amps. Out on the machine at the heaters there are 25 amp Circuit breakers (Curve C) for each leg of the 3 phase.

Why does the main 70 amp fuse blow when the 25 amp breaker trips?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 08:55 AM
    The breaker could have a "shunt trip" installed. This is a heater which will cause the breaker to trip. The heater has to be powered from the load side, so that when it trips voltage is removed from the heater.

Look for 2 smaller terminals attached to the breakers. One can be a switch on the "tripper" and the other can be the "shut trip" on the "trippee". In this case, power is cut from the entire machine when a heater trips.
    Jithendran Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 11:33 PM
    You have to check the fault level of the beaker & the Fuse the discrimination level should be higher on fuse than breaker .
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 3, 2008, 04:02 AM
    A shunt trip is not as described. A shunt trip unit in a circuit breaker is actually a coil, much like those found in a magnetic contactor or motor starter, and needs control voltage to operate.

A shunt trip unit can be used to open a breaker remotely, either manually if desired by an Emergency Power Off pushbutton, or automatically, by a monitoring system that can send a signal to the breaker to open for safety purposes.

The heaters described is more like an overload trip unit found in a magnetic motor starter.

I have never heard or seen the word "trippee" used in electrical jargon.

What Jit is referring to is AIC rating, or Available Interrupting Current. I do not believe this is the issue, but Jit is close. AIC rating is important for other reasons.

What you need to check is the characteristic of the fuse and circuit breaker being used. The fuse may be a one time instantaneous fuse, while the breaker is an inverse time unit. The breaker, if so, will withstand the overcurrent or fault current, for a few cycles more than the fuse will withstand either event.

Simply put, a coordination study is needed to determine the type of fault event, and match the overcurrent/short circuit devices to the each other and the load.

Keep in mind that protection devices handle overcurrent and fault currents differently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mitsubishi galant electrical issue [ 5 Answers ]

I've got a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES ( 2.4 L) - the radio and the power door locks just went out. The locks worked once more and then quit again. The fuses are all OK and I swapped the relays to see if any are bad. Haynes and Chilton don't make a book for this year/model. The only bright side is...

Electrical outlet issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bedroom outlet that is controlled by a wall switch. I would like to make one of the outlet plugs "hot" all the time and the other plug still controlled by the switch. I have checked the wiring at the outlet and there are 3 wires. The back and white are attached to the two screw at the...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

My heater trips the main breaker. If I dial back the temp everything else works. As I increase the temp setting the breaker goes. This just started , tub has been OK previous to now.

Strange Electrical Issue [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Wondering if anyone can shed some light (no punn intended) on a very strange electrical problem I am having. I purchased a duplex last summer that was previously owned by my parents. When I first moved in I noticed that on occasion the lights in the kitchen would flicker and even go...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

View more questions Search