Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LCM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Can I get any refund if I file since I paid for college books but didn't work?
    I did not work in 2007 but I am an adult returning to college and 2007 was my first year in pursuit of an associate's degree. Most of my tuition and fees were paid by a Pell Grant, but I did pay about $500 to $600 buying my own books and a few very small payments on the balance of Stafford loans that Pell would not cover. I also have two dependent children and I heard about some new "stay at home mom" tax credit that President Bush passed to be in effect for the latter part of 2007 but I do not know if that is true. I don't think I am required to file a tax return for 2007 since I didn't work and used child support payments to get us by while in school, but is there any way that if I filed one that I could receive any kind of refund due to paying for books and all these circumstances of being a student and a stay at home mom even without any earned income? I am single and would file head of household.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 10:45 PM
    If you don't have income, you don't file tax return. You won't get Earned Income Credit or Child Tax Credit.
    Yes, if you have dependents and pay more than half of the cost of keeping a house, then you are Head of Household. But this status is helpful only if you have income.

I don't have idea about "stay at home mom" tax credit.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Agreed.

You MUST have earnd income to get either the EIC or Child Tax Credit.

Going to college can be used in lieu of working for the Child Care Credit, but, again, you MUST have EARNED INCOME to claim that credit as well.

I too have never heard of the "stay-at-home-mom" credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file SE tax when paid by business in Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Another question has come to me that I need big time help with. The one company that I worked for and made over $400.00 in 2007 was a Canadian based company.:confused: I need to know how to report this income and figure the tax due on what I earned. Or, even better, whether I need to...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

Work performed and not paid by the company [ 2 Answers ]

I'm selfemployed and there's a two companies that I did some work for them and they have not yet paid me for my permit expediting service. What can I do ?

Saving on college books [ 6 Answers ]

I have read that there are ways to save on college books by avoiding the campus bookstore, but I don't know what they are. Can anybody clue me in?

Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any [ 4 Answers ]

Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal...

View more questions Search