Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jedihunter Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Slab leak?
    Pressure at kitchen sink is very low. The bathroom sink, some distance in another part of the house is also very low. Hot water is fine, no prob. Cold water pressure at hose bib outside is fine.
    Inspected all visible pipe. No leaks found. Meter runs about .5 to 1 gal. per min when all valves closed.
    Slab floor, all visible pipe is copper.
    Put ear to pipe at kitchen sink. Do not hear hiss but do hear very faint something. Slab leak?
    Older house. 30 to 50 years old.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2008, 06:57 AM
    meter runs about .5 to 1 gal. per min when all valves closed.
    Sure sounds like a under -slab pinhole leak to me. When that happens we call in a leak detection service to pin-point the leak. They will locate the leak, open up the slab, bag the dirt and bare the pipe. All we have to do is drain the system down, replace the bad section of pipe and patch the slab. I would advise calling in a plumber as getting all the water out of the system so we can solder can be a real hassle. Good luck, Tom

Jan 25, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Thank you very much tom.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Is the water meter moving when no one is using water?

Jan 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Turns out the watersoftner catalist cartrage exploded. Leak sound was water closet valve that wasn't flowing when looked at but leaked sporaticly. (devious, evil valve) had to changeout all valves and supply lines and 1 kitchen faucet. 13 hrs hard labor.
    Thanks for responding.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jedihunter
    turns out the watersoftner catalist cartrage exploded. Leak sound was water closet valve that wasn't flowing when looked at but leaked sporaticly. (devious, evil valve) had to changeout all valves and supply lines and 1 kitchen faucet. 13 hrs hard labor.
    Thanks for responding.
    Glad you located the problem. However, what about this?
    meter runs about .5 to 1 gal. per min when all valves closed.
    Regards, Tom

Jan 28, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jedihunter
    leak sound was water closet valve that wasn't flowing when looked at but leaked sporaticly. (devious, evil valve)
    Flush once... the ballcock sealed fine. Flush again... a grain of the material lodged and it didn't seal... flush again... and it cleared and sealed properly... flush again and a grain... ect etc etc. like I said... very evil valve.
    This caused the system to present itself to the plumber as a slab leak without visible water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slab leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower that has just been fully replaced (pan, tile, fixtures, glass, etc.) because it was leaking and it has started to leak again in the same spot. I am wondering if I may have a plumbing leak under the slab. I also have several baseboards around my house that are warping where there...

Leak under slab [ 3 Answers ]

I heard a leak this morning by the kitchen sink. I had a plumber come out today, and he disconnected an outside line which had been rigged to an outside faucet and the leak stopped. Now it's back. I have a little pool by the foundation, and water continues to run into the little pool. I opened...

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

Under slab leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hot water pipe is leaking under slab. How do you break the ceramic tiles and the concrete to fix the pipe:

View more questions Search