Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Kitten does not understand use of litter box
    Two days ago, I took in a kitten that was meowing outside my window. I fed her well and she quickly adapted to my household which contains three other, older cats and a sick dog.
    No problems there. By yesterday, they were all good buddies. My problem is that she will not use a litter box and has chosen a spot on the den floor on which to urinate. Where she defecates, I have no idea! Actually my husband picked up what he thought was a hair ball, same room, different spot.
    I am quietly going crazy! In the thirty plus years I have had cats, I have NEVER had a cat or kitten that would not use a litter box. Any help will be greatly appreciated because the kitten will have to go if I cannot change her behavior.:( :(
    littlebear91 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Try using the treat for work method where you show the kitty where to urinate and if it doesn't, just hold the kitty to the mess it made and tell it is bad and give a treat to another cat in front of this cat when it urinate in the right spot. This would make the cat want food too. So it will learn next time. I am not sure this will work, but it's worth a try.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
    How many litter boxes do you have? If there are three established cats using the current ones, the kitten may very well not want to invade their territory to use them. Adding another box in a different area may very well fix the problem. Also, since this is a kitten, it's just generally a good idea to have a few extra boxes around the house, since a kitten often doesn't realize it needs to go until right before it does, so it doesn't have time to go to the box if it's on the other end of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten pees in and outside the litter box [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old kitten that will use the litter box 90% of the time but 3 times a week she will pee behind the washing machine less then 3 feet away. She will always poop in the box but pee sometimes behind the washing machine. Could this be stress? I'm a total loss. Please help... any...

My cat had one kitten for her first litter is this normal? [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had one kitten 10 to 14 hours ago and her contractions have stopped. The kitten came out dead and she didn't even detatch the umbilical cord I had to. Should there be more kittens and is this a cause for alarm?

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

Kitten peep next to her litter box [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madame, I really need some help before going to spend hundreds of hundreds dollar to have a kitten's trainer come in and train my lovely white kitten. My 4 months old kitten will peep next to her litter box where she poop inside. I mean she will poop inside her litter box however, she...

Cat Litter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop my cat from rolling around in the litter? Why does a cat do this?

View more questions Search