Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetSue59 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Terminated at 59 years of age
    I own 40% of a small company in Kansas. I was fired with no warning and no severance with "for the good of the company" as his reason. I was with the company for 34 years and held the vice presidency for 25 years without a single infraction or wrong doing. The president brought in his son to posture for my job. Any chance of getting my severance? How about the 40% share of the company? Could age discrimination be a possible approach? Can I sue for him to buy my shares? The president of the company is a madman, very unpredictable and paranoid. HELP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Depending on the corporatoin paperwork you are still a shareholder so you should have had some type of employment contract. Or have it in there that you can't be fired as part owner.

But you are free to sell your shares to anyone, you need an attorney to look over the corporatons incorporation, the bylaws and the mintues to see what your rights are.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
    You have been discriminated against due to your age as the other guy brought in sonny. Contact an attorney. I think you have a good chance of winning an age discrimination suit against that jerk.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Hello Sweet:

I have more questions than answers at this point.

How is the "small company" structured? Are you incorporated? Are you an association? What was your title? What DID you do? Do you have a board of directors? Is there a buy and sell agreement? Is there ANY agreement between you? Do you own any of the patents? Do you own any of the proprietary products or software? Did you design any of the manufacturing techniques you use? Do you own the logo or the company name? Did you draw up any company documents? Did you design them and then NOT register/copywrite them? What did you bring to the table to get 40% of the company? Cash? Ideas? Products? Contacts?

When you speak of "your" severance, is there some agreement that specifies that you have severance? Or is it just something you wish for?

Yes, it appears that you have been discriminated against, but if you sue and win, you'll be paying yourself 40% of the award.

Fill in the details and we can help.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I agree with excon, that, right now, there are more questions than answers. If you have some sort of contract that specifies you own 40% of this company then firing you from your salaried position has NO effect on that ownership. Without knowing what form the ownership is its hard to answer any further on that score.

As to the age discrimination, that's going to be much harder to prove. It sounds more like a conflict between owners and since he owns a controlling interest he can fire at will. You would have to prove the sole reason for termination was age. He might be guilty of nepotism, but age discrimination will be harder to prove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I believe I was wrongfully terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for this company for 4 months and I was never written up or verbally warned until one day I was told that she didn't believe I was capable of doing my job and that I didn't want to be there. I was never told that I was let go or fired, I just asked if I am finishing out my schedule the...

Falsely Terminated and then SLANDERED! [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Steve, I was terminated by my boss. When I asked for something in writing declaring the reason for terminating -- she told me she did not have to give me anything and that she also did not have to have a reason. I found out six seven weeks later in an official document from the...

Early terminated probations [ 1 Answers ]

What kinds of step, I need to do to get a early terminated probations?

Got wrongfully terminated can I do anything? [ 7 Answers ]

I had been working at a company almost a year, after seven months I was promoted one week after that my immediate supervisor was terminated. They never replaced my boss (they were "trying") so I was all alone with no one to train me I literately had to learn on my own, I worked at a high end car...

Terminated over email at work [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Minneapolis and recently I was terminated for email that took place between myself and a non employee that contained sexually explicit content, text. I never received any warning or write up, just called into the office shown the printed copies of our email and terminated. ...

View more questions Search