Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dd2812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Trane XE80 Control Board / Booster Fan Questions
    The blower on my parents Trane XE80 gas furnace stopped working this weekend and a local HVAC company diagnosed the problem as a bad control board. The technician didn't have a board on his truck so he temporarily bypassed the control board and wired the fan to stay on 100% of the time until he returns with a new board this week. I asked the tech about how much the board would cost and he estimated it at between $400 and $700 dollars not including labor.

In meantime I got on line and found I could order the board for $169. I am fairly confident I could replace the board myself. My only concern is not knowing what the tech did to bypass the bad board. Well after examining the control board wiring I am pretty sure I figured out what he did -- looks like he moved the blower's wire from the HEAT-C terminal to the LINE-H terminal -- but in the process I think I may have also found a reason for the board to fail on the first place. I found that the EAC-H terminal (electronic air cleaner) has about a 5 Amp load on it when the schematic clearly puts the limit of the EAC-H terminal at 1 Amp. The 5 Amp load is the combination of a humidifier (.85 A) and a booster fan (4.2 A). Note this HVAC company is the same one that installed the furnace 8 yrs ago so they undoubtedly were the ones who wired the humidifier and booster fan this way. So my questions are (sorry for the long lead in):

(1) Could the apparent overload of the EAC-H terminal have caused the board to fail (even though it worked fine for 8 years)? (If so perhaps the HVAC company should replace the board for free.)

(2) How can I connect the booster fan to the new control board without overloading the board? I've thought about connecting it to the HEAT-H terminal along with the main blower so that they both come on at the same time -- but this would only work for heat. My parents also use the booster fan occasionally with the A/C.

Thanks in advance for some expert opinions/advice!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
    First go and replace the board if you are capable.

Next add a relay to take care of the supposed board overload.

Since you have a Amprobe to check the unit I guess you should be handy with electric.

Since this will be non stock wiring and I am not there to look it over you just need to follow the wiring instructions/diagram that is on the furnace blower door and wire it up.

Good luck.

The board you buy will probably not carry a warranty since you are not in the HVAC trade but if you are careful you should have no problem.

As far as getting someone to pay for something done 8 years ago good luck with that. Who knows who changed any wiring over a eight year period.

Jan 20, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the quick ressponse.

Could you be more specific when you say add a relay? Do you mean add a new heavier duty relay to the new board? Or do you mean add a separate relay elsewhere? I'm wondering if a separate pressure switch in the duct for the booster fan would be the way to go?

BTW, I did not use an amprobe to measure the actual load, I just read the specs on the humidifer and booster fan. So the actual load may not be 5A but I've got to believe it's a lot more than 1 amp. The fan is huge... I believe it's an old furnace fan.

Also, any idea why whoever wired the humidifier didn't use the HUM-H terminal instead of the EAC-H terminal?

Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Or do you mean add a separate relay elsewhere

Yes just add a separate relay to take the load off the board. Use the board terminals to trigger it.A small HVAC relay probably will not take 1/2 amp for the coil.

Jan 20, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Or do you mean add a separate relay elsewhere

Yes just add a separate relay to take the load off the board. Use the board terminals to trigger it.A small HVAC relay probably will not take 1/2 amp for the coil.
    OK - I understand now. Thanks for you help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor of Trane XE80 furnace won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE80 gas furnace. The purge motor and burner go on, but main motor won't run. LED flashing light flashes continuously when burner is on however, when the burner shuts off, the LED light flashes 4 times at an interval. I tried to look for a reset button on the main blower motor but...

Replacing Control Board on Trane Unit [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Does anybody have any experience replacing the control board (CNT 03798) on a trane unit? I had an HVAC guy check out the unit, and he told me that was the part that needed replacing. I'd like to do it myself to save several $100.00 on the job, but I've never done it before. It...

Trane 803 thermostat with Dehumidity Control [ 2 Answers ]

One simple question. If the dehumidity level is set for 50%, shouldn't the humidity remain at that level. It moves up and down from 50% - 55%. I understood that was the purpose of this control. To control the humidity at a constant percentage. Have I misunderstood?

Trane XL 16i, humidity control [ 5 Answers ]

We recently purchased a Trane 16XLi with a variable speed air handler. According to their ads, the unit has the ability to remove up to 24 gals. Of moisture per day. With the temp. set at 75 degrees, the humidity is running at a minimum of 55% at night and 57%-61% during the day. I've read that...

Defrost control board [ 1 Answers ]

Last winter the heat wasn’t keeping up with the set temp, the outside fan came on, but the compressor would not start, you could hear it trying to start but it wouldn’t come on. The tech said the compressor was short cycling, and it was now "locked up", they put in a new compressor (part was cov’d...

View more questions Search