Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattichizz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Dog Depression
    My 7 yr old Maltese passed away 2 weeks ago suddenly & violently, and now my 14 yr old Maltese is very depressed. She sleeps all the time now, I have tried everything to keep things as normal as possible, but her eating, drinking are almost nil except for a little water and a few licks of food. She used to love to go outside, now I take her and she is so scared, she is always afraid and constantly looking for Missy (who just passed away). It is so sad, do you have any suggestions, even her favorite food, bones, toys etc. are of no interest to her and she turns away from me too most times, where she has been my constant companion for over 14 years (I know this is a long time for this breed), but I have to keep trying. I am truly heartbroken already losing Missy, and this older one (Muffin) has been fine up until now. Thanks so much, Patti.
    toniv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattichizz
    My 7 yr old Maltese passed away 2 weeks ago suddenly & violently, and now my 14 yr old Maltese is very depressed. She sleeps all the time now, I have tried everything to keep things as normal as possible, but her eating, drinking are almost nil except for a little water and a few licks of food. She used to love to go outside, now I take her and she is so scared, as a matter of fact she is always afraid and constantly looking for Missy (who just passed away). It is so sad, do you have any suggestions, even her favorite food, bones, toys etc., are of no interest to her and she turns away from me too most times, where she has been my constant companion for over 14 years (I know this is a long time for this breed), but I have to keep trying. I am truly heartbroken already losing Missy, and this older one (Muffin) has been fine up until now. Thanks so much, Patti.
    I am so very sorry to hear about the passing of your special friend Missy, it's always hard to adjust to someone that is in your life almost every minute your at home, my two labs follow me constantly, stopping to suddenly can result in a serious collision.
    My one dog Willow I got her about 3.5 years ago when she was 7, and the poor girl I am now the seventh and last pal she have , well the anxieties that this gal has wow.
    I went to the local health food store and purchased a product called rescue remedy, and surprise it actually works and calms her down, it might be worth a shot.
    Toni
    Good luck to the both of you
    Time will help heal the wound
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jan 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
    So sorry about the loss of a friend and compaion. A little over a year ago I too lost my older dog. My younger dog who had lived his whole life with him was also looking for his pal. I also moved into a new home a week later with out my boyfriend who the dog also spent his whole life with. He was very different for several weks always lokking for his pal and wanted out of the new house. He was only himself in the car. In fact when visiting friends he would chase the ball a few times and the jump in the back of the Jeep and stay.

I gave him lots of time to play ball and extra attention . Brushing and petting. It took a while but he got used to the new sitiuation after a few weeks.I choose not to get a new brother for him because of his age.Sometimes new friend ois the answer . Give it sometime .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Her Depression has gotten the best of us. [ 3 Answers ]

... I am very shy about this, but here goes: I have been in a monogomous relationship for 10 and 1/2 years. We began dating when she was 20 and I was 19, and we went through all of the usual steps: we both lived with our parents, then alone individually, then (as of 4 years ago) together. For...

Depression [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am newly married and we are having problems related to sex. My husband is not able to get excited or gets satisfied easily w/o doing anything . There is no erection so far. He has some mental disturbances also may be due to ups and down in career or he was not able to stick to any...

Depression [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend has depression. Over the last couple weeks her dad has been going on all-out rampages yelling at her, and at one point called her a worthless,good-for-nothing, slut. He drinks a lot and it is always yelling after he drinks. Is this alcoholism? Can her psychologist put him in Rehab,...

Depression, why? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I've been feeling a little down lately, I'm thinking it was because of me yelling at my g/f then she goes and says its because of her and I think it's a combination of stuff, I'm thinking it might be caused by my absence of bowling, I've been bowling for like 6 years now and I haven't bowled in...

Depression [ 4 Answers ]

Name some of the pro's and con's of lifestyle changes verses medication in the treatment of depression?

View more questions Search