Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yawningotter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Kitchen drain leak, new gasket didn't fix
    Hi, we have a leak under our kitchen sink below the drain basket. The metal pipe from the drain connects to a plastic pipe with a compression joint using a plastic nut. The water is coming from the top of the nut at the metal pipe.

We have replaced the gasket and the nut, and it still leaks. We tried some pipe thread tape on the metal threads, and it still leaks. The pipes appear to be in good condition; we did clean them as best we could.

Does anyone have any other suggestions we could try?

Thanks.
    Yawningotter
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Teflon at that joint is only done by d I y folk, plumbers never put teflon there. Try a smidge of putty inside the nut before you thread it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slab leak-kitchen drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slab leak on my kitchen drain. It is copper pipe. I was wondering if there are other methods available other than ripping up the concrete. Is there a pipe restoration possibility?

Shower Drain Gasket replacement [ 11 Answers ]

How do I get to the gasket in a stand up shower to replace the gasket? I am using a pair of channel lock pliers, handles down the drain and turning... I don't seem to be making any progress other than tearing the grips of the handles of my pliers. Any suggestions? :confused:

Kitchen sink drain pipe leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a big leak under the kitchen floor, I went under the house and I can see the leak which is right in the center of the kitchen. The crawling space was very minimal and hard to get to the cast iron pipe. I was thinking about opening the kitchen floor which is wood to see if I can fix the...

PVC pipe to kitchen drain/strainer leak [ 3 Answers ]

How do I securely fasten the connection from the pvc pipe to the strainer? I have the plastic stopper inside the strainer nut that screws into the drain tightly but water trickles from the connection. The pvc pipe can slide up and down when the nut to the strainer is securely fastened. What do I...

View more questions Search