Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Trying to lose 50 pounds and get in shape.
    So, I've started working out, it's been a week. I work out two hours a day. This includes cardio and resistance work-outs... So naturally I have a bunch of questions...

1. How come I have gained three pounds this week?

2. How long will it take me to lose 50 pounds?

3. What exercises should I try for faster results?

4. Will diet pills help speed up the process?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
    1. How come I have gained three pounds this week? Muscle weighs more than fat

2. How long will it take me to lose 50 pounds? 2 - 3 pounds per week is safest

3. What exercises should I try for faster results? Faster results are not what you really need

4. Will diet pills help speed up the process? no, No, and NO!!! Stay away from diet pills completely
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Love your pup's picture! I've lost 20 lbs on the Atkins Diet since May. I don't recommend Atkins for everyone but it seems that you might be eating wrong causing your body to want to gain the weight. I do not recommend diet pills for anybody ever. I didn't do a whole bunch of exercises other than walk for about 30 minutes a day.

Are you drinking diet soda perchance? Don't. Drink just plain old water instead. Also are you eating any foods that contain soybean oil or soy flour? This can affect your body also. Since I stopped eating anything soy back in October I have actually lost a few pounds and I don't exercise a bit. I stopped Atkins back in October as all I wanted to lose was the 20 lbs. Atkins is okay if you only use it short term. What kinds of foods are you eating now?
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
    I've gained three pounds of mucle this week, but it's unhealthy to lose more than 3 pounds a week?

And faster results are what I need...

And I know diet pills are bad. That wasn't my question.
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Love your pup's picture!! I've lost 20 lbs on the Atkins Diet since May. I don't recommend Atkins for everyone but it seems that you might be eating wrong causing your body to want to gain the weight. I do not recommend diet pills for anybody ever. I didn't do a whole bunch of exercises other than walk for about 30 minutes a day.

Are you drinking diet soda perchance? Don't. Drink just plain old water instead. Also are you eating any foods that contain soybean oil or soy flour? This can affect your body also. Since I stopped eating anything soy back in October I have actually lost a few pounds and I don't exercise a bit. I stopped Atkins back in October as all I wanted to lose was the 20 lbs. Atkins is okay if you only use it short term. What kinds of foods are you eating now?

Thank you. And it's not my diet. I don't drink soda and I do drink water... too much of it... :p
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 07:44 PM
    So what foodsare you eating? I find it odd that you're gaining weight.
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I find it odd that I am gaining weight as well. I am on a 1200 calorie diet given to me by a dietician.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Again, what foods are you eating? It has a lot to do with how your body is converting it to energy.
    Vision Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Again, what foods are you eating? It has a lot to do with how your body is converting it to energy.
    Do you want me to copy my weekly foods? I don't really feel like doing that. That was considered when my dietician made the food schedule.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
    What I mean by what are you eating... are you eating 3 meals a day? Are you eating a lot of fruit and veggies? Meat and fish? That's what I mean. It's hard to figure what you're doing wrong that your body has decided to store the food versus burn it off. Have you asked your dietician since you've gained weight for any clues as to why? Traditionally a person loses water weight right off the bat, then comes the fat.
    Vision Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 08:01 PM
    No, I'm eat 5 small meals a day...
    Vision Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Plenty of protein and veggies.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Apparently 5 meals a day is too much as your system is not given enough time to "burn" it off hence you are gaining and not losing the weight. It's like you keep stoking the furnace with more and more food hoping that this will help. When I eat food I want to eat more and more. When I don't eat and entertain myself and take my mind off food I tend not to eat as much. Try eating only when you are hungry, not just because it's 5 small meals a day. I think that's your problem.

Also you say you are exercising. Have you ever tried a rebounder? Those give me a wonderful workout. Be sure to get one that has a bar attached to it to hold on to so you don't lose your balance and can do different moves without fear of falling off.

Oh yes, your metabolism also comes into play (and your age as well... as the older you are the harder it is to lose weight). Do you know if you have a sluggish thyroid or not? Are you constantly cold and have cold hands and feet? Then your thyroid needs jump started. I jump started mine with the Atkins diet. I'm not saying you should try it but just read Dr. Atkins book and you might gain a good insight into just why you are gaining weight and not losing it. Once I rearranged my metabolism I dropped the weight and then got off the diet and am not gaining any weight and I'm not a spring chicken anymore, either! I have learned that my prior diet (even though I was eating very little some days) was the wrong kind of food that was actually triggering my body to go into a "conserve the body fat" mode and keep adding on the pounds to my stomach and thighs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to lose 48 pounds! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad: :confused: please help! I just turned 15 and I weigh MORE than my 17 year old boyfriend. He weighs 160 and I weigh 178. How can I lose weight! I wanted to weigh around 130 for summer... or 10th grade... I don't know what to do! I exercise, eat right, and play softball all the time, but I just...

Need to lose 40 pounds [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 40 pounds larger than I was before I had my baby what is a quick and easy way to get back to the size I was?

How do I lose 50 pounds [ 14 Answers ]

I really need to lose 50 pounds in 2 months, could someone please tell me some good ways to lose weight fast?:confused:

I think I'm going to lose my husband over a few pounds [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married 6months. We have lived together for 2 years before our marriage. Needless to say we've been together a little while. When I met my husband I was 18 and 110 pounds and my husband told me every day how lucky he was to have a girl as beautiful as me. He would...

How to lose 50 pounds [ 1 Answers ]

How can I lose 50 pounds fast and easy I'm 18 5'10'' and about 235 to 240

View more questions Search