Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Toilet Vent
    Originally Posted by freshstart
    We are doing some plumbing work tonight so I am hoping someone can answer my question quickly. Is a 3" vent needed for each toilet or can you get by with a 2"? The way it is laid out right now, we have a toilet that flows into a jet tub drain and then into a shower drain. What would be the proper way to vent that sequence of fixtures?
    A house requires one 3" main vent. On new construction we usually make this vent the kitchen sink vent6. The rest can be 2". You have a major fixture discharging past two unvented minor ones. Both the shower and the tub will have to be vented individually, the vents will have to be installed Just downstream of each trap. However, they may be connected together and revented back into a dry vent. Good luck, Tom
    joseph24 Posts: 5, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    A house requires one 3" main vent. On new construction we usually make this vent the kitchen sink vent6. The rest can be 2". You have a major fixture discharging past two unvented minor ones. Both the shower and the tub will have to be vented individually, the vents will have to be installed Just downstream of each trap. however, they may be connected together and revented back into a dry vent. Good luck, Tom
    You can use a 2" vent by international code. A 3" vent was needed in the old code. A toilet should be on a 3" line. A jet tub should be on a 2" line.. The vent should be after any trap. On a 2" line you you can run up to 8' to a vent. You can use a dry vent. Like a tee on its back or a combo(wye with a 45) and run up any wall to the outside. I hope this helps.. Stephen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Vent [ 3 Answers ]

After removing my toilet, I see that it has two openings, a 3" opening in the front (connects to the main drain) and there is a smaller opening in the back for venting. Is it a 90 degree heel elbow used upside down? Should this be corrected?

Toilet vent [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a way to clean out a possibly blocked toilet vent. I have a drop in water in the bowl and when doing laundry, I sometimes get a gurgle and the smell of sewer gas. I am having the septic pumped and I also tries flushing out the vent with a water hose, not an easy task. Any...

Toilet and Tub Vent [ 7 Answers ]

Reposting per Tom's Tips. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! -------------- Hi! I'm plumbing a bathroom and I'm trying to figure out the correct way to vent an adjacent tub and toilet. I have a single 1.5" vent pipe going to the roof. I'd like to use the one vent for both the tub and...

Toilet Vent [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a septic system at my cabin, there is a toilet in the bathroom that will need to be tied to this new septic system. The toilet has a 4" pipe that runs through the crawl space, under the footings and is stubbed outside the cabin. This pipe is a straight pipe with total of about 13'...

View more questions Search