Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mes02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Toilet Vent
    After removing my toilet, I see that it has two openings, a 3" opening in the front (connects to the main drain) and there is a smaller opening in the back for venting. Is it a 90 degree heel elbow used upside down? Should this be corrected?
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mes02
    After removing my toilet, I see that it has two openings, a 3" opening in the front (connects to the main drain) and there is a smaller opening in the back for venting. Is it a 90 degree heel elbow used upside down? Should this be corrected?
    Definitely.
    mes02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Definitely.
    What kind of problem will this cause, if I leave it alone? I was thinking about adding a washer drain after the toilet ties into the main drain then heads for the sewer and revent (washer) to the toilet vent. Currently the toilet is the last fixture that ties to the main drain before it leave the house.

- Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mes02
    What kind of problem will this cause, if I leave it alone? I was thinking about adding a washer drain after the toilet ties into the main drain then heads for the sewer and revent (washer) to the toilet vent. Currently the toilet is the last fixture that ties to the main drain before it leave the house.

- Thanks
    Listen to Growler. He's giving you top drawer advice. It's against code to use a side or heel inlet closet bend as a vent unless it's washed by a vented fixture. But wait! You have more problems with that set up. The ell's turned downward out of the heel so that every time you flush the discharge will go directly into the very fitting that you wish to use as a vent. Change the hell i8nlet closet bend for a regular one. Install your washer and let it wet vent the toilet5 at the same time it vents the washer. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet vent [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a way to clean out a possibly blocked toilet vent. I have a drop in water in the bowl and when doing laundry, I sometimes get a gurgle and the smell of sewer gas. I am having the septic pumped and I also tries flushing out the vent with a water hose, not an easy task. Any...

Toilet Vent Location [ 1 Answers ]

How close to the toilet should the vent line be? I’m in the process of moving a toilet and am not sure if I need to extend the vent too. Currently, the vent line is about 6 inches from the toilet, and after I move the toilet it would be 2 feet. Thanks Scott

Toilet Vent [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a septic system at my cabin, there is a toilet in the bathroom that will need to be tied to this new septic system. The toilet has a 4" pipe that runs through the crawl space, under the footings and is stubbed outside the cabin. This pipe is a straight pipe with total of about 13'...

Pecans in my toilet vent [ 4 Answers ]

The vent on the roof for our toilets were never covered and we are having problems with pecans down inside of the vents. My husband has been trying to snake them out but they will not break down. What would be the best solution for this problem? :eek:

View more questions Search