Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Jan 7, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Bad Coolant Sensor warning light
    I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It has a new V.I.C in it that constantly says the coolant sensor is bad. I have replaced the coolant sensor. Now what do I do? Please help -- Ace
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:43 PM
    There may be more than 1. One usually operates the fan for the AC and is a switch. The other actually measures temperature. One might be in the radiator and the other may be on the engine.

Hopefully you drove the car long enough to reset the ECU.

Jan 7, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Thanks KISS -- I did purchase the appropriate book for this model vehicle and researched the book, which said to replace the "coolant" sensor and gave an appropriate location. I will pull the book out again and research the fan for the AC. The V.I.C. is "suppose" to tell you how to locate the info needed to fix things. But obviously, it doesn't agree with what I have accomplished so far. I hate to ask, but what is the "ECU"? I replaced the sensor this past summer. Hopefully, that has been long enough to reset the "ECU"!? - Ace
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 10:24 PM
    "Engine Control Unit"

You'll probably have driveability problems and poor gas miliage with the coolant sensor bad. This is the main thing that the computer (ECU) uses to determine when the care can run in closed-loop mode.

Where was the sensor you replaced?

Jan 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
    KISS -- it's located in the thermostat housing (it's a 6-cylinder). Someone also suggested that it may be a "bad sending unit". Seems like I have a few things to check into. And yes it does get bad gas mileage. But not as bad as my 1982 CJ7 --- LOL ---- thanks for your info -- Ace
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 11:57 AM
    I did find a reference for a 1996 Jeep where there were two cooant sensors on the thermostat housing. One for the computer and one for the gauge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

01 malbu engine temp sensor coolant leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak coming from the engine temp sensor. I need to know the procedures for changing this and what tools are needed to this and are there any special tools or steps that need to be taken to this?

Coolant warning light 2001 Taurus [ 2 Answers ]

It comes on but it has the correct amount of coolant. I have checked it both when cold and after running awhile. Temperature gauge indicates temperature is normal. If I stop and turn off ignition the light goes off. I am assuming it is a sensor that is going bad. Any suggestions?

Coolant Temp. Sensor Connector [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I found out what the problem was the coolant sensor is not connected but the problem I have now is the sensor is in the motor but the connector that connects the computer to the sensor is gone the guy before me must have cut it off sense the wiers are there but the connector is not so my...

Coolant Temperature Sensor [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace the coolant temperature sensor on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, 6 cyl, 2WD. Can anyone tell me where on the engine to look to find this component? Randy

01 malbu engine temp sensor coolant leak [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply txgreasemonkey. Now should the new sensor come with a new o-ring and the space is very tight where the sensor is located. Any tips to removing and replacing without cracking my knuckles to death?

View more questions Search