Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:54 AM
    If Giuliani's campaign wasn't dead before, it is now...
    Think Progress » Rudy Floats Cheney For Vice President Again
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:59 AM
    See my posting on the subject. Rudy did not try to win in Iowa . The Republican results were not decisive at all .So Rudy's strategy of putting his resources in the bigger states may be the correct one.

BTW

For now Thompson will continue .He hopes to hang in until South Carolina's primary. But he is running short of funds.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:01 AM
    I'm not talking Iowa, I'm talking choices of VP. Is he trying to lose??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Cheny brings in a lot of National power and might from the political machine. Plus perhaps a tie to the more left part of the party that thinks he is to liberal.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Cheney too liberal? I've never heard that before. I'm pretty sure that most americans aren't too fond of Mr. Cheney. Only time will tell I guess.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:50 AM
    NK, Giuliani also mentioned the other Republicans that he is running against as possible picks for VP. Most prominent was McCain. It wasn't his best day, he was sort of vocalizing the musings running through his brain. But, I believe if he doesn't shore up his response to that question ASAP during his campaign Q & A sessions, it will be very detrimental, if not crippling, to his campaign if he continues to allow people to think he may want Cheney as V.P. I haven't checked the latest numbers but the last time I checked, Cheney was scraping the bottom of the barrel in approval ratings.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Cheney is well respected in the Republican ranks . But I doubt seriously he would entertain being Veep again. But perhaps you misread the link. He said he would like to choose "someone like Cheney " .

I think that Cheney and to a lesser extent Al Gore have made the position of VP relevant beyond waiting for the President to croak. John Nance Garner, Franklin D. Roosevelt's first vice president, said the office of VP was not worth "a warm bucket of spit." Other previous office holders were less than kind in describing the office.

But I doubt there will be a future VP who will not be an active participant in the decision making functions of the Oval Office. That I think is what Rudy is referring to .
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Part of the problem with that link is that it doesn't give a full and complete picture of what Giuliani was saying. The poster focused solely on his mentioning Cheney. Unfortunately, many people take someone's blog as gospel, don't bother checking any further, and just run with it. Tom, it won't matter if Cheney will consider it or what you think he was referring to. You are already on board with him. People who aren't don't think in this way and take blogs like these as the absolute truth. Giuliani, or any of the other candidates for that matter, can't afford to think out loud like that now. He didn't do a good job making himself clear during that little talk, and Romney has spent his time attacking people in his ads in NH. With the way both men have presented themselves here, McCain is now gaining momentum every day in the polls. Personally, I would like to see Romney toppled again and I think it is going to happen in NH. I believe we are going to see a completely different outcome in the NH than in Iowa. And, again, we are going to see something completely different in FL. I said this on an earlier thread, this is going to be one of the most exciting races we have seen in a long, long time. Just as an aside, I think Dodd & Biden made an error in judgement dropping out now. It is too soon for any of them to accept defeat. Caucuses are such strange events, and the one in Iowa is the weakest of them all. They may have had a record turnout, but a couple hundred thousand people amounts to peanuts in the scheme of things, and if I were any of the candidates, I would dismiss this outcome. In the recap last night, someone stated that some people in the minority camps were swayed by their friends and family in the majority camps to join them before the head count! People can't be so easily swayed when stepping into a voting booth.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Personally, I would like to see Romney toppled again and I think it is going to happen in NH.
    Isn't he almost a favorite son in NH... NH being a suburb of Boston and all that :D lol

I agree with you that Iowa is a blip . I like evangelicals as much as the next guy ,but it would be a disaster if their surge to the polls in Iowa was the decisive move in this campaign . What I would like to see is a good old fashioned brokered convention in the summer .
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I don't agree; the results are watched by pundits and press. The loser in Iowa was Hillary; in my view the Republican fight may go to the convention.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Sorry no Rudy is too liberal for many Republicans, so by takikng on a more right wing partner, it can be a very good move
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Interesting point George. I was watching Fox News this morning and they were recapping Rush Limbaugh's comments about how the media was focusing more on the Republican side purposefully to cover up the fact that she was really the big loser last night.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Chuck, do you think that focusing on Cheney is better for Giuliani's campaign rather than McCain?
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Chuck, do you think that focusing on Cheney is better for Giuliani's campaign rather than McCain?
    McCain is playing it smart. He is in a temporary alliance with the Huckster to knock down Romney . I think he will be the winner in NH ;or at least will be close enough to declare victory . That will mean that Romney's next big chance will be in Michigan .

I don't see how the caucus in Iowa means much of anything. It is entertaining to see how the 'winners' and 'losers' conduct themselves. Of course, it is totally refreshing to see that the Democrat voters in Iowa are not of the same mind-set as the voters in New York; how pathetic New Yorkers look, needing a political 'queen' for a senator.
    George ;good observation about NY . WE have a bad habit of selecting carpetbagger Senators. Evita isn't the first.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:32 AM
    NK, al-AP and Think Progress are putting words in Rudy's mouth. Rudy had previously mentioned Cheney as an "example" of "picking someone who is qualified to be president" as TP acknowledges in the article that leads with "Rudy Floats Cheney For Vice President Again."

Nice try, but I think that's entirely dishonest - but coming from where it does that's no surprise. I'd bet hell would freeze over before anyone would pick Cheney as their running mate.

Steve
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
    I really laughed when I saw Giuliani intimating he would have a warmongering VP! He's a real gonner. I guess the Corporate Fascists will have to find another know-nothing to prop up. LOL!
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Now, Choux, that's embarassing: "Corporate Fascists" are Democrats, by definition. And stop fooling yourself because there are lots of them.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 10:52 PM
    You don't seem to know anything!

Enjoy Life!
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Here's his new ad: YouTube - Rudy Giuliani TV Ad "Ready"

What a fear mongering wanker. A noun, a verb and 9/11. Desperation hits a new level.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Choux said: "I really laughed when I saw Guiliani intimating he would have a warmongering VP! He's a real gonner. I guess the Corporate Fascists will have to find another know-nothing to prop up. LOL!!"

So what is a fascist and where did they come from? In reality, the modern, post JFK Democrat Party is not "liberal", though this is what they want to be called. Check this:
    Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Giuliani's First Amendment record and secrecy anything to be alarmed about? [ 9 Answers ]

Some saw Mayor Giuliani as secretive - Rudy Giuliani News - MSNBC.com His personal life became a public riddle. In mid-2001, Giuliani fled the mayor's residence and began bunking with friends, a gay couple — an arrangement eventually disclosed by the Daily News. More than two dozen lawsuits...

The Republican campaign [ 55 Answers ]

Conservatives and Republicans Does the endorsement of Mitt Romney by National Review (long time publication founded by William Buckley ) mean anything to you ? Will it have any influence on who you support ?

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

What is the budget for a advertising campaign [ 4 Answers ]

What is the budget for a advertising campaign

Campaign money [ 1 Answers ]

When an candidate decides to no longer run for office either drops out or isn't running for the next term, does he/she get to keep the money raised on their behalf? If not, what happens to it? Thank you.

View more questions Search