Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LFBlock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
    How to report income received-no tax withheld
    Since I only work part time, I found it necessary to earn extra money for living expenses.

I worked as a webcam model, on an ongoing model website, as well as a promotional model. None of these businesses withheld taxes from what was paid to me. My question is what do I need to have to enable me to report these additional earnings on my taxes for 2007, since no W-2 will be provided by these businesses?:(

Your assistance is very much needed and appreciated. I hope that you will be able to give me the answer I need for my dilemma. The total amount earned-all jobs above combined totaled $1,204.71.

Thank you for your time.

Lisa Block
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 05:00 AM
    You will receive 1099 instead of W2. This is self employment income.

With your tax return you will file schedule C (Form 1040) to report this income. On schedule C, you can deduct your business related expenses. Your net income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%. For this you will also file schedule SE (Form 1040).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Lisa:

What MukatA says is accurate. As a model, you were considered an independent contractor and you must file Schedules C and SE on this income.

Now, if you worked for several agencies, and NONE of these agencies paid you more than $600, you may not get a Form 1099-MISC from the agency, because they are NOT REQUIRED to report payments less than $600.

However, that does NOT relieve you of the requirement to file the Schedules C and SE. You earned the income and you must report it.

You MAY NOT OWE ANY TAXES, however. Depending on your whole income situation, you may qualify for the Earned Income Credit, which may completely offset any self-employment taxes owed.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Lisa must file tax return if her self employment income is $400 or more.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failed to report income? [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine moved from California to North Carolina in October 2005. Before she moved, she withdrew approximately $32,000 from her retirement fund and taxes were withheld. However, when she filed her income taxes, she didn't think she had to claim it, because she had already paid the taxes. ...

How to report income with no W2 and no 1099? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife made some income this year (about 5K) and we are unsure on how to report it. The business owner has not and will not issue W2 or 1099 forms but has written checks to her name which she has cashed out at his bank. How do we report this on our federal taxes without triggering an audit...

How to report nonemployee income for a non profit organization [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I did some freelance gig for a non-profit organization, and received A standard 1099-misc for the income tax report. As it was a non-profit, I Initially gave the client a discounted rate, assuming that there would be more Amount to write off in the end. The client says their EIN...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search