Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philgardner100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 03:01 AM
    Failed to report income?
    A friend of mine moved from California to North Carolina in October 2005. Before she moved, she withdrew approximately $32,000 from her retirement fund and taxes were withheld. However, when she filed her income taxes, she didn't think she had to claim it, because she had already paid the taxes. She just received a notice from the IRS that she owes about $6000 in taxes, plus interest, plus a penalty for not filing. What does she need to do? Please Help!! Thanks!!
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

May 9, 2007, 05:49 AM
    She needs to file an amended tax return 1040X and claim it. There is no other option.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Actually you don't need to file a 1040X, assuming that the notice the IRS sent is a standard form that allows you to either agree with the assessment or dispute it. If she agrees that she made a mistake, she signs the form, encloses a check, send it off and she's done. If she disputes it, she should indicate that on the form, and enclose a letter of explanation plus supporting documentation. In this case if she has a statement that shows that taxes were withheld at the time of distribution then she should enclose a copy of that. She should have also received a 1099-R form at the end of 2005 which shows both the amount of the distribtion and the taxes withheld. The IRS also received a copy of that form in early 2006, and that's what they're basing they're assessment on. It may be that the amount withheld was insufficient for her income bracket, or it could be that they only withhheld the 10% penalty for early withdrawal, and not any income taxes at all.

Lesson learned - whenever you receive a 1099-R form, you must always declare it on your taxes, because the IRS has that same information.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Again, ebaines has covered all pertinent points.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report income with no W2 and no 1099? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife made some income this year (about 5K) and we are unsure on how to report it. The business owner has not and will not issue W2 or 1099 forms but has written checks to her name which she has cashed out at his bank. How do we report this on our federal taxes without triggering an audit...

How to report nonemployee income for a non profit organization [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I did some freelance gig for a non-profit organization, and received A standard 1099-misc for the income tax report. As it was a non-profit, I Initially gave the client a discounted rate, assuming that there would be more Amount to write off in the end. The client says their EIN...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search