Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
    Cross over cable networking?
    I originally asked it in Yahoo answers but due to one way communication there, I was unable to get the answers and then give them the feedback. I am posting this here with a hope that it may solve my problem.

Cross over cable networking problem?

I'm trying to network 2 pc's both running XP Pro sp2. I have assigned IP addresses to both pc's as follows:-
    Pc1 :- 192.168.0.1 pc2 : 192.168.0.2

Subnet :- 255.255.255.0

I have named the workgroup :- MSHOME

I ve shared folders on both PC's I can see the work group from both PC's but on "pc1" I see "pc1" in workgroup

And on "pc2" I see empty workgroup. I have disabled Windows firewall from PC 1 and pc2 and also avast antivirus from both.

I can ping pc1 from pc2 and vice versa but in some websites they say I should get five ping replies but I am getting only three here.

File sharing is enabled on both the computers. I thing I need to mention it here that I have cable net but I don't use both the computers simultaneously most of the time. When I try to connect them, I unplug the cable net wire from the router and plugin both the pcs then I try to connect them using the ips etc. I tried the right click drive then sharing then enable sharing thing but it didn't help me

I tried automatic ip as suggested by one of the answerers but it did not work. I tried netbios over ip but still the computer was not reached even after typing the designated ip. Can anyone tell me the required set of services needed to setup a network connection between two computers? I am using router so please tell me what can I do to make the sharing drive(s) or folder(s) or even the second computer to appear in workgroup
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 01:14 AM
    I am thinking of things that could affect access -- set up sharing on both computers

Being on same workgroup -- Try network Wizzard on both machines

Or a program you might want to try is Network Magic

PC World - PC World Downloads - Network Magic
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Not working sir. Thanks for your help though
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Are u on internet or just local network

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV with cable but no cable box [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm trying to help my folks connect their Samsung DVD-V6700 (DVD/VCR combo) player to their Toshiba TV, model number 27AF45. They have cable TV, but no cable box. The coaxial cable is supposed to connect directly to the TV. How do I hook up the DVD/VCR player so both DVDs and VHS tapes...

Wall mount for cable, how do I prepare for cable line? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to move my T.V. across the room, I have a wall mount with the wire there. What do I do to the wire that is not cable prepared to look like the one that is now being used? I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me please!! :confused: Signed single mom trying to save a few...

Connecting two computers with nic cards&cross cable? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two computers one running windows xp with two nic cards. And the other one running debian with one nic card. My question is I cut a rj45 in half and tried to make a crossover cable. The windows computer is link to the net with one of the two nic card.I want to use the pic nic card to...

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I have alaptop connected to my desktop with a ethernet cable. The destop can access files from the laptop but no traffic the other way. I have now connected the laptop to another desktop and it works fine both ways. I have tried lots of things like taking off all firewalls, permisions etc. The...

View more questions Search