Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barkly54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Connecting two computers with nic cards&cross cable?
    I have two computers one running windows xp with two nic cards. And the other one running debian with one nic card. My question is I cut a rj45 in half and tried to make a crossover cable. The windows computer is link to the net with one of the two nic card.I want to use the pic nic card to connect link up to the debian with the crossover cable. I know that samba is active in the debian computer. What software I need in the windows computer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
    First, I moved this to the networking forum. The Introductions forum is clearly marked as NOT the place to ask questions.

I would not try to make a homemade crossover cable that way. You are better off buying one.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Many NICs nowadays are auto-midx, so a cross over cable isn't an absolute necessity. You nned a link light and need to be able to ping the computers.

Technically you don't have to assign IP addresses. You can use DHCP even if no DHCP server is present, You'll get unique IP addresses, I believe in the range of 169.254.x.y.

Windows can access Samba shares through smb://<ip address> or smb://<computer name>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV with cable but no cable box [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm trying to help my folks connect their Samsung DVD-V6700 (DVD/VCR combo) player to their Toshiba TV, model number 27AF45. They have cable TV, but no cable box. The coaxial cable is supposed to connect directly to the TV. How do I hook up the DVD/VCR player so both DVDs and VHS tapes...

Connecting 2 computers to transfer video & photographs [ 9 Answers ]

We have a PC, for home use, & a laptop for travelling about Australia. We now have the problem of transferring the files etc from the laptop to the PC. I asked about this at a computer centre today & was sold a 10/100/1000 straight network cable with very basic instructions on how to use it....

2 computers 1 not connecting [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 computers side by side,hooked up router, everythings been working properly for months, and now only one can connect, I bought new router, usb port,cables, the cable company says the motem is fine. If we want to use the computer we are hooking up direct. I need help figuring this out. So...

Cross-connect between two computers [ 3 Answers ]

I inadvertently connected a serial port on an older Dell D300 to the s-video on a newer (to me) Inspiron 5160. Now my usb ports are not working. I ran every diagnostic I could find, and everything says it is operating perfectly. I tried 4 different devices, and the computer does not recognize...

View more questions Search