Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zebra46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Well Pump Control Box damaged
    Is there a real link between a power outage and my water well control box being damaged during a power outage? If this could be possible how would it happen? What can I visually check in the Control box to tell if the electrical terminal was damaged?:confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Any time there is a power outage or spike there is possibility of damage.
    You can look at the wires but with out a meter it will be hard to check.
    I would not recommend leaving the power on while you are looking around.
    Burnt wires or other devices is usually a indicator of damage.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Do you know what the cause of the power outage was?

If it was a Utility outage, when the PC turned the power back on, it may have popped a safety on the well pump. HVAC is correct in his assessment so I would start by doing a close inspection of the pomp and motor and see if you can see any broken or burned parts on the pump. Next, visually inspect the wires for bubbles, melted sections or burned sections.

If you know how to use a Volt/Ohm meter, make sure that there is voltage supplied from the wiring. If there is, then there is most likely a hard failure on the pump.

If there is no voltage, then trace the circuit back to the Main Panel looking for the problem. Is your pump protected by either a GFCI outlet or a GFCI circuit breaker? If so, you may have to reset the GFCI to get your power back to the pump.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Power used to go off when it went off. Now it seems to bounce on and off several times all the more likely to weld or burn up contacts such as in your control. Yes cut the power, and then pull off the cover and look at the contacts. See if one of them is burnt away. It is possible, but less likely it burnt a wire off. In that case, you may be able to just reattach it.

Your are lucky, I think a new pump switch is about $10-$20. We are paying $400+ for a new refrigerator following Sunday morning's power outage. That gets us an 18 ft^3 basic freezer on the top from Lowe's. I do have to say it was an ugly old copper tone one that was in the house when we bought it 30 years ago.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 28, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    . I do have to say it was an ugly old copper tone one that was in the house when we bought it 30 years ago.
    EEEWWWW! That's nasty labman! LOL Maybe a blessing is disguise, eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump wiring?control board [ 2 Answers ]

I got a call for replacing a T-stat... (for home). The York heat pump... after replace with the new one. I found the blown fuse at the airhandler... changed... now I have the blower up and now the electric heat is temporarily used but the unit outside is not running... In heating mode : the unit...

Pump Motor damaged during bearing replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hayward FloMax pump driven by a 1HP AO Smith motor. While pulling the old bearings off, with a three fingered tool, believe it or not, I bent the threaded end of the rotor shaft. OK, when it wouldn't come off I whacked it. It is very slight but the impeller is not perfectly square in the...

Electrician Damaged my Control Board [ 6 Answers ]

We had electrical work done on my house (change the main box outside). We had all lights and central air on when the electrician turned main power off to house. After work was completed, all the lights went on at once but when we went to turn the central air on, the thermostat read that the...

Heat pump control [ 1 Answers ]

I have Lennox heat pump about 10 year old. The control center is called Harmony II. There is a red light which has been on/off for a few years now. The mannuel says it indicates need of service. The service contractor tried very hard and could not fix it or find out why (I do not have...

View more questions Search