Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plentiuse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Underfloor heating 15 amp GFCI to 30 amp breaker
    I have installed a 240v flextherm heating cable under a floor hoping to use existing 240v. Heating circuit to power it. There are 2 other baseboards on this circuit
    GFCI thermostat for floor is rated for 15 amp and heating circuit is on 30 amp breaker.
    I am not getting any power through the GFCI when I connect it up so I think that I am getting an automatic trip on the GFCI because of the overload.

Any suggestions?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 07:26 AM
    What is the total wattage of the heating system?

Why a GFI breaker? Does the manufacture instructions recommend or require this?
    plentiuse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    What is the total wattage of the heating system?

Why a GFI breaker? Does the manufacture instructions recommend or require this?
    Wattage of existing baseboards is about 2250
    Wattage of underfloor heating is about 60

I am on north american 120 volt system. Manufacturer recommends( and supplies) the GFCI thermostat
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
    OK, are you trying to get 120 volt GFI protected power from the 240 volt baseboard heat circuit?

What type GFI breaker do you have?

Where does the neutral connect from the floor heat?

Exactly which Flextherm product do you have?

This would have been simpler if you ran a 120 volt GFI circuit just for the heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing GFCI Breaker With A Regular Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit serving only a single outlet on my deck. It is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker in the home's single 125 amp service panel. I wish to replace the GFCI breaker with a regular 15 amp GE breaker. I will then protect the circuit with a GFCI outlet. I am familiar with...

GFCI Breaker vs Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding some 20A circuits in my garage/shop and know that they have to be GFCI protected. My question is this: Is there an advantage to using a GFCI breaker over just putting a GFCI receptacle in the first slot of the series? Thanks.

Underfloor heating thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire up my underfloor heating but I'm not sure weather the wire with the power is the load or feed, if any one could let me no that would be great. Thanks. Darren

Warm GFCI Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

In our electrical panel we have 2 AFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these...

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

View more questions Search