Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimV Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
    GFCI Breaker vs Receptacle
    I'm adding some 20A circuits in my garage/shop and know that they have to be GFCI protected. My question is this: Is there an advantage to using a GFCI breaker over just putting a GFCI receptacle in the first slot of the series? Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 03:54 AM
    Both devices do the same job, a breaker costs much more than the outlet, if
    There is a ground fault, you need to go to the breaker panel to reset it a breaker style, the outlet will be located in the garage for easy access.

Seems the outlet method is better in this case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Do they make a slimline GFCI Receptacle? I have some very narrow metal eletrical boxes in my kitchen and the regular size GFI will not fit.

GFCI Circuit Breaker. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker...

Warm GFCI Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

In our electrical panel we have 2 AFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these...

Installing a gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a gfci receptacle in my offfice( replacing the existing regular receptacle) I have two black wires that were wrapped together , two gray wrapped together, one single blue and one green. I followed the directions and think I got all the wires to the right place. The test light...

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

View more questions Search