Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancingfoolx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 09:07 PM
    I feel I can not love another
    I feel emotionally numb at the moment and psychologically I believe I have put up a barrier so I wouldn't get emotionally hurt anymore but I have found someone who I want to have strong feelings for and I have felt some sorts of feelings for him but it either comes in different ways or I don't feel them at all or I will think about him but I have no tingly feeling like you have when you like someone.. does anyone understand what I am saying? I am 17, I have suffered from depression since about 7th grade currently the anti depressants I take are cymbalta, lithium, and wellbutrin and right now I'm at the state where I am learning to accept the bright sides of life but I just want to feel those feelings that you feel for another being.. I don't know if it just an age thing or if it is because of my medication or what but I would really like some advice and I do go to therapy so please any suggestions are accepted.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
    I think the feeling you are missing is "love." The in-love kind. Some feel that it is a mental condition of sorts, or a physical thing. The drugs you are currently taking may be numbing the feeling. Whoever prescribed them would be able to explain how and why you are numb.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 05:45 PM
    The main thing is not to build up having a relationship with a guy into a big deal before you have even said "Hello". That's what I did when I was a teenager. :)

Think about how you would like to show affection to a guy you like by taking a walk, then hold hands. That's it! When tackling new horizons in life, break down a situation into the smallest possible steps, and then go forward. That is how to build confidence.

Once you two make human contact and feel the warmth growing between your hands, you will be fine. If not, ask another question here. ;)

Best Wishes,
    jealous_girl Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
    I was depressed last summer. It was the first time and it was awful. Suddenly every loving feeling I had towards anyone numbed. This is quite normal. I almost broke up with my boyfriend because of this. I felt that if my parents died, I wouldn't care. I felt if I left my boyfriend, I wouldn't love anyone again.

I wasn't on antidepressants, but I read that they can have this numbing effect. Just as depression itself. I don't really know how to help you get through because I just had mild depression and it went away after two months.

But, you have to be patient. Learn to enjoy life again, and you'll see how emotion arise. One other thing: this guy IS already someone special to you, you want to have feelings for him because he already means something to you. Maybe your meds are blocking some neurochemical responses. The feelings are basically there, the problem is your depression is blocking them. I hope you get through this, because I know how frustrating it feels.

:)
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 19, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Well, if you are interested in someone but you don't have that "in-love" feeling, then maybe you like him as a friend but nothing more. Sometimes it can be confusing to tell the difference. But, if you feel that you are numb overall towards everyone and everything, then you should go back and tell your doctor. It can take a while to find the right medications or the right combo that works. I'm not saying it is the medication, but my fiancee's mom struggled with feeling numb towards everything for a while. She finally went to a different doctor, who was willing to change her medications. She got a new one, and is feeling so much better now. Keep track of how you feel on different days, times, etc. and then go talk to your doctor about your moods. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
    MatildaBroke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 07:37 AM
    I have the same problem but I'm not taking drugs, because I don't think they will make a better person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does love feel like? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys I'm 13 years old And I believe I may be in love all though I'm not going out with the guy we are just really goood friends and we flirt so much for instence we hug at least 4 times a day he plays footsie with me in class and one time he was playing with my hair ! So please tell me how...

I feel I am in love with one man, but it can't happen! What should I do? [ 14 Answers ]

One man is very nice, he is really a responsible man! Be kind, patient to everyone, responsible for his job! Everyone likes him! I feel I like to see him every day, he is not good looking, but tall, very man! It seems he is my style! I do not know! Actually, we have little talk except something...

Why do I feel I still love my ex and somehow want her [ 1 Answers ]

The Girlfriend Of 9 Yrs Lied And Deceived Me But I Can't Get Over Her Obviously She's Over Me We Promised Never To Cheat On Each Other That's The Real Killer Kick Cause I Will Never Trust Her Again How Can I Trust Any One Spose If They Had Same Done To Them!

I want to feel my love again.How? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I really need help here. You see, me and my ex have been together for 1year and 2 month. We loved each other very much, he was everything for me. We were braking up twise. Once he broke up with me, but in two weeks came back. I still loved him very much but there were problems a lot, and he...

View more questions Search