Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flamingo1234 Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Dec 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Connecting two computers
    I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium (it SUCKS):mad: and my brother has a Dell Dimension 310 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. His isn't connected to the internet, while mine is. He wants me to download stuff for him, then put it on his computer, but his doesn't even know it's connected. Yes, I plugged it into an active USB port. Anyone know how to solve this?:confused:
    Gekko Posts: 347, Reputation: 77

Dec 19, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Hi flamingo1234

Not much info to go on, so I'll have to make some assumptions;
    If you are trying to network with a USB cable, does it have a network adapter? I'm not sure that a regular USB cable plugged between 2 computers will create a network.
    Even so, network drivers would need to be have been installed on his desktop.
    Does your laptop recognise a connection to his desktop?

His desktop will be configured to network via ethernet (Cat-45). If you have Cat-45 plug on your laptop too, you can just connect the 2 with a crossover Cat-45 cable, which is different from a regular Cat-45 cable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Burn the downloads to CD or use a flash drive.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I am assuming bot PCs have ethernet jacks? You need to go and buy a crossover cable and connect that cable to each of the ethernet jacks. This is a direct way to just put a wire to 2 pcs and have them connect. But it has to be a twisted pair crossover cable.
    And both machine have to have their respective networks setup - for XP go through the Netork set up wizard in the Network conncetions category in control panel. Go through wizard clicking next when you get to last page when it asks whether to create a disk or anything, hust choose last option and click finish.

Your Vista network and sharing center needs to be set up as a private network and each PC has to share it's folders, just share the folders you want the other to see, example: Shared download folder

Your best option is to get a linksys ethernet switch which is the same process except the computers are connected to this switch instead of directly to each other and you use a twisted pair rj-45 cable, Not the Crossover twited pair rj-45 cables - with this option all the computer network thinggs still need to be configured on each machine

This is the basics for what you need to connect your computer to each other

Very easy to do just sounds like a lot, buy required cables, configure XP and Vista for Networks - You're there.
    flamingo1234 Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I got a wirless network set up he can go online now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 computers 1 not connecting [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 computers side by side,hooked up router, everythings been working properly for months, and now only one can connect, I bought new router, usb port,cables, the cable company says the motem is fine. If we want to use the computer we are hooking up direct. I need help figuring this out. So...

Connecting two computers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this "help desk" and this has probably been answered millions of times but can two computers be connected together through the same internet connection? And Also what would I need. The computers are running xp and the is 98 internet connection is wireless broadband. Thank you.

Connecting Two Computers via Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am vignesh... I need foolproof method for knowing how to connect two computers in network via ethernet...

Connecting Two Computers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I got a linksys router and it is directly connected to my computer wired and I have a laptop connected wireless well what I want to do it be able to access files between both computers through a network how would I set this up ?

Connecting two computers together [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, just wondering since my cd rom on xp is not working, IS there anyway that I can connect my old PC win 98, 4gb hard drive to my xp and use win 98 cd rom to install program on xp.

View more questions Search