Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HumanSiv Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Dec 14, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    I wouldn't advise taking any medications before having your tongue pierced. The guy who pierced my tongue said that it can cause the tongue to bleed more than it might normally and it's actually the worse thing you can do. He wasn't even going to pierce my tongue if I had took anything. Besides that it really doesn't hurt. If anything it's your nerves that might get to you rather than any pain.
    Thanks a lot for your advice, I wasn't intending on taking any medications for pain reliefe because I only use them if its completley neccasary and in my view I don't see how the pain could be completley unbarable. From what I've heard its pretty much painless provided you don't tense your muscles when the needle is going through or that the piercer does it right so I don't see the need for any pain relief medications.

Thanks...
    Cheers :)
    teenMOMMIE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 10:09 PM
    I wouldn't take anything, because 1. it doesn't hurt AT ALL and 2. if you do bleed a lot you can throw up. :eek:

I wouldn't advise taking any medications before having your tongue pierced. The guy who pierced my tongue said that it can cause the tongue to bleed more than it might normally and it's actually the worse thing you can do. He wasn't even going to pierce my tongue if I had took anything. Besides that it really doesn't hurt. If anything it's your nerves that might get to you rather than any pain.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Well I wouldn't advise taking Vicodin or anything like that, but Ibuprofen is perfectly fine to take before a piercing. I know it doesn't hurt, trust me, I've had it done 3 times, but some people think that its going to hurt, and if they go in with the mentality that its going to hurt, it more than likely will. Ibuprofen will ease their nerves a little so its not as bad as they think, and it will also reduce swelling, which is a step in the right direction for a tongue piercing.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 14, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Well I wouldnt advise taking Vicodin or anything like that, but Ibuprofen is perfectly fine to take before a piercing. I know it doesnt hurt, trust me, I've had it done 3 times, but some people think that its going to hurt, and if they go in with the mentality that its going to hurt, it more than likely will. Ibuprofen will ease their nerves a little so its not as bad as they think, and it will also reduce swelling, which is a step in the right direction for a tongue piercing.

I'm not sure how Ibuprofen is going to help with the nerve issue, but as I said the guy wasn't going to pierce mine if I had took anything because of the possibility of excessive bleeding. The only blood I seen was a very small amount on a tissue. If my tongue had bled a lot I would have freaked out for sure. I would rather not take any chances and suck it up with out the meds.

Dec 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanSiv
    Thanks a lot for your advice, i wasnt intending on taking any medications for pain reliefe because i only use them if its completley neccasary and in my view i dont see how the pain could be completley unbarable. From what i've heard its pretty much painless provided you dont tense your muscles when the needle is going through or that the piercer does it right so i dont see the need for any pain relief medications.

Thanks...
    By the way, I kept my eyes closed and all I felt was something I assumed after the fact was maybe when the needle hit the cork under my tongue. I sat there with my tongue hanging out of my month when the guy said," You know people are going to think you're crazy if you walk around with your tongue hanging out like that." I had no idea he had already put the needle through much less put the bar bell in. Also to save yourself some money don't buy the mouth rinse from the place you get the piercing, you can get alcohol free Listerine much cheaper at a store. You may also for a few days kind of feel like your tongue is burned around where the ball is. It's not that bad at all but I found that a little Oraljel helped.

I'm sure you will be surprised how fast it goes and how almost pain free it is . You are a smart person to find out as much as you can before having it done and to find out different people's experiences.

Dec 15, 2007, 12:40 AM
    By the way, I kept my eyes closed and all I felt was something I assumed after the fact was maybe when the needle hit the cork under my tongue. I sat there with my tongue hanging out of my month when the guy said," You know people are going to think you're crazy if you walk around with your tongue hanging out like that." I had no idea he had already put the needle through much less put the bar bell in. Also to save yourself some money don't buy the mouth rinse from the place you get the piercing, you can get alcohol free Listerine much cheaper at a store. You may also for a few days kind of feel like your tongue is burned around where the ball is. It's not that bad at all but I found that a little Oraljel helped.

I’m sure you will be surprised how fast it goes and how almost pain free it is . You are a smart person to find out as much as you can before having it done and to find out different people’s experiences.
    Thanks very much, I'll probably keep my eyes shut while robyn does mine as well hehe I have a high tolerance to pain so I'm sure it shouldn't hurt much.
    Thanks for your advice everyone!
    Cheers
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:48 PM
    I'm not sure how Ibuprofen is going to help with the nerve issue, but as I said the guy wasn't going to pierce mine if I had took anything because of the possibility of excessive bleeding. The only blood I seen was a very small amount on a tissue. If my tongue had bled a lot I would have freaked out for sure. I would rather not take any chances and suck it up with out the meds.
    What I meant about the nerves part was, some people's minds are more at ease if they know they have taken something to possibly help with the pain and swelling. You can suck it up without the meds if you want (I know I do) but some people cant. I was letting the OP know of her options.

**EDIT** - I forgot to add, that just because your piercer wouldn't pierce you if you had taken something for the pain, doesn't mean that another piercer will be the same way. Every piercer has his/her own rules and guidelines on what they will and will not do. Almost all piercers will still pierce a person that has taken Ibuprofen.

Dec 17, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Ok! I finally got it done! It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would and I kept my eyes shut! All I felt was a sharp sting and some pressure and in around 5 - 8 seconds it was all over with minimum bleeding. In my opinion, totally worth it!
    Thanks so much for all of your little pieces of advice and comments I have taken them all into consideration and will use them all when needed.

Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Ok! I finally got it done! It didnt hurt as much as i thought it would and i kept my eyes shut! All i felt was a sharp sting and some presure and in around 5 - 8 seconds it was all over with minimum bleeding. In my opinion, totally worth it!
    Thanks so much for all of your little pieces of advice and comments i have taken them all into consideration and will use them all when needed.

Awesome! I'm so glad it wasn't so bad for you! Good luck and I hope it treats you good! :)

Dec 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Ok! I finally got it done! It didnt hurt as much as i thought it would and i kept my eyes shut! All i felt was a sharp sting and some presure and in around 5 - 8 seconds it was all over with minimum bleeding. In my opinion, totally worth it!
    Thanks so much for all of your little pieces of advice and comments i have taken them all into consideration and will use them all when needed.

Haha good for you! Now we should all make a bet on how many balls you swallow in the next year!
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Well I wouldnt advise taking Vicodin or anything like that, but Ibuprofen is perfectly fine to take before a piercing. I know it doesnt hurt, trust me, I've had it done 3 times, but some people think that its going to hurt, and if they go in with the mentality that its going to hurt, it more than likely will. Ibuprofen will ease their nerves a little so its not as bad as they think, and it will also reduce swelling, which is a step in the right direction for a tongue piercing.
    Very correct.. ibuprofen is a anti-inflammatory drug.. and it is the best thing for any type of peircing or surgery in the mouth, of course you don't want to take any ASPRIN since that is a blood thinner, but ibuprofen is the best bet for sure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: Ok, so I have been trying to convince my mom that I should get a Tongue Ring, and i don't know how to convince her. If any one has any ideas, please let me know! ~Thanks:confused:

Tongue piercing [ 5 Answers ]

k, ii just got my tongue pierced, and I'm a smoker... but the lady told me ii couldn't smoke until after six months! But I'm not guna be able to go that long without one... so my question is as long as ii rinse my mouth out after I'm through, can ii have a ciggarette? Oh and 6-9-07 at like between...

Tongue Piercing! [ 9 Answers ]

I want to pierce my tongue but Are there ne special things I would need to know for it? Are there ne steps to it?

Tongue Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I am 17 years, and I really want my tongue pierced, I have my lip pierced twice and I'm wondering if the tongue hurts more or less than the lip? Can you help?

Tongue piercing [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I'm going to get my tongue pierced in about a month... does it hurt as bad as an Industrial piercing... What are some things that you had the biggest problem with. What will help deal with the pain..

View more questions Search