Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C5GUY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Can I Splice Cut 110V Wires?
    My contractor cut through one of my master bedroom 110V wires that runs the bedroom plug outlets. He actually cut it in 2 different places. He wants to install a "circuit box" to rewire this damage. I hate to see a box in this high visibility area and wonder why I cannot simply add a piece of wire by wire splices to repair this fubar?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Can't. Junction boxes need to be accessible and splices need to be made in junction boxes.

When you do what you want to do there is nothing to mechanically secure the ends and you can't inspect the connection. Besides the splice can generate heat and it needs to be contained in a heat resistant enclosure. This paragraph is logic, not something from the code book.

He can also fish wires and patch drywall. He's taking the easy way out.
    C5GUY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Can't. Junction boxes need to be accessible and splices need to be made in junction boxes.

When you do what you want to do there is nothing to mechanically secure the ends and you can't inspect the connection. Besides the splice can generate heat and it needs to be contained in a heat resistant enclosure. This paragraph is logic, not something from the code book.

He can also fish wires and patch drywall. He's taking the easy way out.
    Thanks! This was what I figured but wanted to make sure.:)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Not just logic, but code does require the splices to be in an assessable box. One alternative to new wire or a sore thumb box would be to put the cover of the box on the other side of the wall. The box could go in the attic with a new wire running down to the outlet.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 11, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Sorry... but that contractor would be hiring a Sparky to come fish a brand new circuit for me. Especially with two breaks. Tell him to suck it up and bite the bullet.

Which brings up another issue. Since it's a bedroom, would the installation of the new circuit require AFCI's to meet code? Or could he get away without needing that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain pipe splice [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bathroom sink drain that is clogged-I have tried everything to clear it including plunging, chemicals,augers and water jet type devices. The clog is in the basement drain probably after the 90 degree turn and in the center pipe leading to the large main drain, this is probably why the...

Electrical Splice [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best technique to use when splicing romex wire that will wind up in a conduit?

What is a PVC Splice and Stub? [ 1 Answers ]

Is a splice a coupler, like a female slip coupler? Is a stub, just a cut out piece of a pvc pipe? Is MIPT/FIPT two types of NPT. Or is NPT a different type of thread? I'm just trying to understand some of the terminology used in pluming.

Splice 220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to splice 220v to 110v and it is not working! The 220v wire is black, red, and green. The 110v hook up is black, white, and green. I tried hooking up the black to black and red to green. I don't know I am all mixed up!

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search