Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmg143jap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 10:20 PM
    Biological father causing problems
    I live in Louisville, KY and have a 3 year old daughter. Since I found out I was pregnant, the father was either in the army or avoiding me all together. About 2 1/2 months ago, he hunts me down and literally harrassess me at my place of employment for weeks about getting a DNA test done so he can have something to do with his daughter.
    Well, I finally agree to talk to him and we have scheduled to go to the child support division 2 times now, and he either doesn't come around or calls me and then I don't hear from him for days at a time. I don't want this for my child and I feel that it my god given right to protect her from a man that is doing this to our family.
    Ive been with a man for over a year that she calls daddy, that loves her as his own, and wants to adopt her.
    I fear that her biological father will not stop harassing me and will only make things worse for my child. He is with a women who has had her children taken away by CPS before and that worries me. NOt to mention the fact that he asts like he wants to be in her life, but when it comes down to it, runs away!
    My question is: Is there any thing by law that I can do to stop the harassment and get him to leave us alone. I fear that is I do let him in her life, she will get hurt and I don't think that letting him in her life is in best interest of my daughter. Please help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg143jap
    I feel that it my god given right to protect her from a man that is doing this to our family.
    Hello jm:

You may think so, but a court may not. NO, there is NOTHING you can do. IF he's the father, he HAS rights. As soon as he get's his act together and hires an attorney, he's going to get visitation.

In fact, he has a god given right to be a father to his daughter. Well, at least he has LEGAL rights.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
    While excon is correct, the best interests of the child must be considered here. You need to document all the missed appointments, harassing calls etc. You can then try to get a restraining order against him.

However, if that doesn't work and its proven he's the father, he can exercise his rights.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Well he has a right to be involved in his child's life. It doesn't sound to me that he seems to be a danger to the child, it seems your only issue is his lack of commitment as far as appts and seeing the child.

But if he is not on the birth certificate (which I'm assuming he's not, thus wanting a DNA test so he can see the child)... then the ball is in your court, because at this point he has no legal claim to that child until he is proven the father. So do as Scott said, and try and get a restraining order against him.
    As far as the rest goes, let him do the leg work. He has no legal rights, so don't assist with anything. If he really wants to be a part of his child's life then he will need to get an attorney and have the courts order a DNA test, then have visitation ordered.

If DNA proves he is the father, take that and immediately file for child support... see if he still wants to be involved then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for my biological father, [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so in this last couple of weeks I've been looking for my real dad over the internet And found no luck. His name is Khalid Balasha, I don't know if that is the right spelling though. My parents separated before I was born so I never saw him. My mom who is 43 years old now said they met in her...

Who is my biological father [ 3 Answers ]

I want to find my real father. What is his name and where is he?

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

Looking for biological father [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about finding my biological father after I was adopted? When I was four my mom's current husband adopted me, therefor my name changed to his last name. My birth certificate shows that name. I do not know my real father's name or any other info. I only know my mother's info. Any ideas?

My Biological Father [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find my biological father... all I know is his name is Thomas Anthony Snowden and he lives in Maryland somewhere, he also has a son named after him. That's pretty much all I know. I don't know what website to go to actually look for him because they keep asking for so much money... if...

View more questions Search